Grapefruit + Brandy = Breakfast Soulmates
I love nothing more than a tart grapefruit or a tasty beverage, so imagine my delight when I saw “brandied grapefruit” on a menu last year at Perla’s in Austin, Texas. For $3! Yes, $3! Sadly I was pregnant at the time and couldn’t imbibe, but the thought of sucking down a brandied grapefruit never left my consciousness. I knew there would be no “conscious uncoupling” between me and a brandied grapefruit. Grapefruit + Brandy = Breakfast Soulmates.
We moved back to Southern California (hello, perfect weather goodbye, humidity) before I had a chance to order the brandied grapefruit for $3 so I decided to create my own.
And here it is.
- 1 Grapefruit (Any variety - I like Ruby Red)
- 2 Tablespoons Brandy
- 2-4 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to broil and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the grapefruit in half and using a serrated knife score the segments.
- Pour 1 Tablespoon of brand onto each side. Depending on the size of your grapefruit you may need a little more or less.
- Top each side with 1-2 Tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Bake for 5 minutes until the sugar is toasted and caramelized.
- If desired, add another 1-2 tablespoons of brown sugar to the top once you pull it out of the oven.
- Let cool for 2-3 minutes before you dig in!