Once upon a time I didn’t like brownies. Or chocolate. Once upon a time I must have been crazy. Okay so maybe I was banned from eating chocolate as a kid because I’d act crazy (I mean who punches a window screen out for no reason), but that doesn’t mean I am certifiable. It just means I’ve grown and matured. By that I mean I’m obsessed with brownies and chocolate desserts. I still think it was the screens fault. The stupid screen was holding me back. “I’m a peacock you gotta let me fly.” *Bonus points if you know what movie that’s from.
If you’ve ever been to Chili’s you know they have quite a few desserts on the menu. I previously tried the Chili’s Molten Chocolate Cake, but didn’t enjoy it. It wasn’t runny enough on the inside. I didn’t hold out hopes for their Chili’s Skillet Toffee Fudge Brownie, but I was pleasantly surprised. PLUS – my husband Todd doesn’t like chocolate so the whole skillet was mine. ALL MINE!
Things To Keep In Mind:
1. This recipe works with either small cast iron skillets or porcelain ramekins. This is the set I personally use.
2. Feel free to omit the ice cream, toffee, fudge or caramel sauce if you don’t have them on hand. It really makes the dessert, but it’s still delicious without these toppings.
3. If you prefer to use a double boiler to melt the chocolate sauce, have at it. I prefer to cut down on time by using the microwave.
4. Important – chocolate burns very easy! Do not overcook the sauce. Check it every 10 seconds and stir! You’ll find it may not look 100% melted, but when you stir it that will change.
- 4 oz Unsalted Butter (1/2 Stick)
- 2 oz + ¼ cup Hershey's Chocolate Chips (Divided)
- 1 oz Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ Teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ Cup + ½ Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- ⅛ Cup + ½ Tablespoon Flour (Divided)
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ⅛ Teaspoon Kosher or Sea Salt
- Optional- Vanilla Ice Cream, Chocolate Fudge, Caramel Sauce, Toffee
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the butter, 2 ounces of chocolate chips, and the unsweetened chocolate to a glass bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Repeat in 10 seconds increments until the chocolate is melted and combined with the butter. DO NOT OVERCOOK!
- Add the eggs, vanilla and sugar to a large bowl and stir (don't whisk!) Stir the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and set aside until it reaches room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, sift together ¼ cup of flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Add it to the chocolate mixture.
- Toss ½ cup of chocolate chips and one tablespoon of flour and add them to the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a 6.5" cast iron skillet. Place the skillet on a baking sheet and bake for 23-25 minutes. You want them slightly underdone as it will firm up while sitting for a few minutes.
- Top with vanilla ice cream, toffee bits, caramel and chocolate and enjoy immediately!