Easy French Baguette loaded with hot Caramelized Onion. This french onion dip is piped into the center of the crusty bread. Think cream cheese, sour cream and caramelized onions. It’s sure to be a hit at your next gathering.
Superbowl 50 is almost here which means it’s time to break out your best game day appetizers to impress your friends and expand your waistline for the weekend! Each year we make a killer Caramelized Onion dip that disappears midway through the 1st quarter. This year we decided to kick it up a notch but STUFFING it into a garlic toasted french baguette! No more balancing a full plate of dip in one hand and scooping with the other. This is a “grab and go” dip. It’s Epic.
Our easy Caramelized Onion Dip is loaded with caramelized onions, 3 different cheeses and soft bread. While the sting of losing the San Diego Chargers is still fresh, we can eat our worries away, one slice at a time.
This is a reinvention of a vintage recipe almost every American ate in the 80’s. Game days at our home wasn’t complete without the Lipton French Onion dip. While their onion dip is much easier to make than our homemade french onion dip, it’s not as good AND it’s loaded with “ingredients” you probably shouldn’t eat.
CARAMELIZED ONION DIP NOTES:
We use these disposable Wilton Bags to pipe in the filling. Makes life MUCH easier.
Not quite sure how to Caramelize Onions? Check out our How To Caramelize Onion recipe.
This recipe is highly adaptable. Feel free to substitute Gruyere instead of Swiss or kick the cheese up to 1/2 cup vs 1/3. It’s your choice!
Vegan/Vegetarians- Omit the Worcestershire sauce and use vegetable stock in place of the beef stock.
While you’re looking for party appetizers, make sure to check out our favorite for Superbowl 50:
French Baguette Stuffed with Caramelized Onion Dip
- 1 French Baguette (Sliced in Half)
- 2 Caramelized Onions (Caramelized Onions Instructions)
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic (Divided)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Beef Stock
- 1 8 oz Package Cream Cheese (Room Temperature)
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (Grated)
- 1/3 cup Swiss Cheese (Grated)
- Salt (to Taste)
- Black Pepper (to Taste)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Caramelize the onions (How to Caramelize Onions).
- Once the onions are finished cooking add 1 tsp garlic, beef stock and Worcestershire sauce to deglaze.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the onions, cream cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese and swiss cheese and stir to combine.
- Taste and add salt and black pepper as needed.
- Set aside.
- Turn the oven on to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the baguette in half and hollow it out using a large bread knife. There should be about 1/4" of bread on all sides.
- Using a piping bag or knife, stuff the dip into the center of the bread.
- Cut the bread into 1/2" portions, keeping the slices pressed against each other.
- Mix the olive oil with 1 tsp. of minced garlic and spread over the top of the bread.
- Transfer the baguette to a large piece of foil and cover tightly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until hot, inside and out.
- Enjoy immediately for best results!