You’ll want to get your grub on once you learn how to barbecue a homemade pizza on the grill. Move over Shrimp on the Barbie, there’s a new gal in town named Margarita. Margarita Pizza with Arugula that is. She’s soft, chewy and a dash of peppery. What’s not to love?
During the summer we’re obsessed with making homemade pizza on the grill. Who wants to turn on the oven and bake? No thanks. We’d rather starve. Or call delivery.
This homemade pizza recipe is easy to make, but it will probably take a time or two to get the timing right if you’re not used to working with dough on the grill. We confess our first attempt looked more like we were frying a taco shell vs a flat pizza. No shame here…we still ate it.
This is the Pizza Dough Recipe we use when we make pizza at home.
21 Day Fix – to make this 21 Day Fix approved, just use a cauliflower crust instead of a flour based dough.
Tips for Great Homemade Pizza on the Grill:
1. Don’t go too thin on the crust or else you’ll have issues transferring it to the hot grill.
2. Heat the grill to 500 – 550 degrees for maximum results.
3. Move quickly. Once it’s time to top the pizzas, get going! You don’t want the bottom to burn before the top cooks.
4. Make sure the grill grate is clean or else the dough will stick.
5. Don’t skip the oil!
6. Follow FoodieandWine.com on Pinterest for the best grilled pizza recipes.
Homemade Pizza on the Grill - Margarita with Arugula
- This recipe begins after you have pizza dough and pesto at hand.
- Turn your outdoor grill on high and clean as needed.
- Toss the arugula with a small amount of olive oil, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Roll out the pizza dough to your designed size and thickness and transfer it to a well greased piece of aluminum foil or cookie sheet.
- Brush olive oil on one side of the dough.
- When the grill registers between 500-550 degrees, transfer the pizza dough to the grill, olive oil side down on the grill. Brush the second side of the dough with olive oil and close the lid.
- After 2-3 minutes, flip the dough over and quickly add the pesto sauce, Roma tomatoes and mozzarella balls. Shut the lid and let cook for 5-7 minutes. Each grill is different, so watch it carefully!
- Once the toppings are hot and the cheese is melted, remove the pizza from the grill.
- Remove from the grill and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the arugula to the top of the pizza.
- Enjoy immediately!
OTHER GRILL RECIPES: