Instant Pot Angel Food Cake, baby! With just a box of Angel Food Cake and water you can churn out a light, airy and moist Angel Food Cake using just the Instant Pot.
We’ve become a bit obsessed with our Instant Pot lately and have been testing all the standard cake mixes for y’all!
We tested about 10 batches to get the Instant Pot Angel Food Cake proportions just right. Too much water and the cake doesn’t “rise”. Too little and it’s too dense. This mix to water ratio is where it’s at.
Instead of a large-sized Angel Food Cake, we decided to make a mini version using these Wilton Mini Angel Food Pans. They are about 4.5″ across and 2″ high, creating a perfect portion for one or two peeps. These are also non-stick so it’s super easy to remove the angel food cake when it’s done cooking.
Instant Pot Angel Food Cake
We love a punch of color in our cakes so folded in some birthday cake sprinkles before baking. This isn’t necessary, but it sure is fun!
Each batch makes 2 mini cakes. You can cook them one by one or stack the two pans. If doing one by one it must be done back to back. If you wait to cook the second cake the batter loses its “structure” and won’t rise.
Yes, foil is important. The cake won’t rise if the water condensation sits on top of the cake mix as it cooks.
The powdered sugar glaze is extremely versatile. Once all the ingredients are combined as directed, taste it to see if you want a small splash of vanilla or a bit more butter for a creamier flavor. It’s up to you! You can’t go wrong.
Weight Watchers – each mini cake half equals 5 smart points! That doesn’t include any toppings however, so keep that in mind.
Instant Pot Angel Food Cake
INSTANT POT ANGEL FOOD CAKE
- 1.5 cup Angel Food Boxed Cake Mix (Half the Box)
- 2 cup Water (Approximately)
OPTIONAL POWDERED SUGAR GLAZE:
- 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Melted Butter
- Add 1.5 cups of the boxed Angel Food Cake Mix to a large bowl.
- Add 1/2 Cup + 2 Tablespoons of water to the cake mix and whisk until fluffy (approx. 1 min.)
- OPTIONAL- this is when you should fold in sprinkles, if using.
- Gently spoon the mixture into your 4.5" angel food cake pan (until about 3/4 way full) and lightly cover with foil.
- Add 1.5 cups of water to the bottom of the instant pot followed by the metal trivet that came with your Instant Pot.
- Carefully place the angel food cake on the trivet and close the pot.
- Make sure the steam valve is in the closed position.
- Turn the machine on and set to manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
- QR once the timer goes off.
- Remove the lid and lift your pan out.
- Remove the foil and make sure any condensation on the top doesn't roll off onto the cake.
- When cooled, gently push the bottom of the pan up to release the cake.
- Using a small plastic spatula, loosen the cake from the bottom insert to release the rest of the cake from the metal pan.
- Transfer to a small plate and serve as is or top with our powdered sugar glaze.
OPTIONAL POWDERED SUGAR GLAZE
- Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and mix until creamy. Taste and adjust flavor as preferred.