Aloha! Let me introduce my favorite dish from my last trip to Maui.
I was married in Maui (Britney Spears Fans Keep Reading!) and love getting back when I can.
A new restaurant concept, Slappy Cakes, opened up in Kaanapali and being the food lovers that we are, knew we’d have to hit it up. Usually we don’t make repeat visits to restaurants while on vacation, but Slappy Cakes warranted an immediate deviation from this self-inflicted rule the very next morning when my older sis Sarah flew in for the day.
Slappy Cakes let’s customers sit in front of a griddle and cook their own pancakes, their way. If you’re not into it they can cook the pancakes for you, but who doesn’t want to make funny shaped pancakes while on vacation? On our first visit my husband Todd created a heart shaped pancake for me. On our second visit, when my “nothing is off limits” sister was with us, he created something a bit more crude….I won’t say what it was, as not to offend, but I will say I never knew you could make body part shaped pancakes.
One of the side orders was Maple Brown Sugar Bacon with Macadamia Nuts. I KNEW I could probably skip the pancakes and go straight for 2 orders of the bacon, but I resisted. I love blueberry pancakes with sour cream too much. Of course we did have to order it again on our second visit.
Once thing you’ll notice about this bacon recipe is the consistency. While I usually order bacon extra-crispy, this bacon recipe doesn’t create extra crispy consistency due to the maple syrup and brown sugar. You will be left with semi-crispy bacon instead which you won’t even notice. Just thought the crispy bacon fans out there should know, in advance, what to expect. Don’t let it scare you off though. The trade off is worth it.
Now on to my “Britney Spears and I could have been BFFs story”……Todd and I paid for our own wedding and were on a very strict budget. To save money on the reception, we decided to rent a hotel suite at The Fairmont and self cater it vs. going to a restaurant where the drink tab alone would be over budget. When the valet picked us up in the golf cart, to take me to the ceremony, he informed us Britney Spears rented the EXACT suite less than a week before! I still don’t know if I’m more excited that we picked a place nice enough for a celebrity to stay or more disappointed that our visit didn’t overlap! I just KNOW we would be BFFs if we met. I mean, my dream job is to be a back up dancer for her. Although I can’t twerk. But twerking wasn’t invented yet, so I’m safe. Phew!
Last month I discovered my new favorite way to cook bacon, without a bacon rack. in the oven on foil! Not just any foil. Foil folded to maximize the crispness of the bacon! If you haven’t seen this fab kitchen trick, you must read our post on How to Make a Foil Bacon Rack. It will change your life!
Let’s take a Before and After Pic Shall we?
You MUST try this bacon recipe. You won’t regret it.
- 1 Package of Bacon
- ½ Cup of Brown Sugar
- Maple Syrup (to Taste)
- ½ Cup Macadamia Nuts (Chopped)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, then put a cooling rack on top (optional)
- Place the bacon on the baking sheet or cooling rack, if you're using one. Make sure the strips don't touch.
- Lightly pour maple syrup over the bacon. Take your finger and make sure each square inch is covered with maple syrup.
- Evenly sprinkle the brown sugar over the bacon strips.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes (depending on your oven). Don't let it burn!
- Remove from the oven and place the bacon on a paper towel lined plate, to drain the excess grease and firm up. DO NOT dab the top! It will stick.
- Sprinkle the macadamia nuts over the tops of the bacon.
- Let sit for about 3-4 minutes to firm up.