Summer is underway and, like us, many of you are looking to stay out of the kitchen. Well, we’re positive some of our readers would prefer to stay out the kitchen year round! Our super easy Watermelon and Heirloom Tomato Salad should be on every menu plan this week. It’s refreshing, cold, satiable and overall one of our favorite salads here at FoodieandWine.com. It rivals the Spinach Steak Salad we posted a few weeks ago.
We first had a similar salad in Palm Springs a few years back. Their version featured cumquats, but they’re hard to find so we used orange rinds and orange champagne vinaigrette to enhance the flavor of the watermelon and tomatoes instead. Finish it off with a sprinkle of smoked salt.
If you’re looking for a citrus dressing recommendation, we use Trader Joe’s Gourmet Orange Muscat Champagne Vinaigrette.
TIP – Make sure you’re signed up for our weekly email so you don’t miss out the latest FoodieandWine.com news, recipes and giveaways. * We do not share your information.
Watermelon and Heirloom Tomato Salad
- 2 Large Heirloom Tomatoes
- 1 Personal Sized Watermelon or 8 Triangles from Large
- Mozzarella Balls to Taste
- Basil to Taste
- Orange Rind 1/2 of a Small Orange
- Olive Oil
- Citrus Vinaigrette we prefer Trader Joe's
- Smoked Salt optional
- Cut the tomatoes and watermelon into hearty slices and arrange on a platter.
- Sprinkle the orange rinds over the tomato and watermelon.
- Drizzle olive oil and the citrus vinaigrette over the entire platter, to taste.
- Top with a chiffonade of basil, smoked salt and pepper (to taste).
- Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 day.
FOODIEANDWINE.COM RECOMMENDED DRINK PAIRING:
Rosé – Dry variety
Rosé Champagne – Dry variety
Sparkling Wine – Dry variety
Watermelon Calories – The total amount of calories in watermelon is 87 per wedge!