Easy and Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas featuring shredded chicken, loads of cheese and spices. This adaptable recipe is easy to tweak for different palates. Reduce the spice for those who can’t take the heat, or pump it up for the heat-lovers.
This cheesy chicken enchiladas recipe has been a family favorite for at least 10+ years. It’s cheesy, filling and easy to make. Notice I didn’t say quick? From start to finish you’re looking at an hour, but most of it is baking time. This easy chicken enchiladas recipe is an easily adaptable chicken recipe. Like spice? Load it up with chili spices. Like cheese? Double the listed amount. Like olives? Throw in a handful of those bad boys.
With Cinco de Mayo coming up next month, these Chicken Enchiladas are a perfect pairing with your favorite Margarita Recipes! The Mexican spices in the chicken enchiladas pairs nicely with the lime and tequila. Check out all our Mexican Recipes.
With Cinco de Mayo coming up next month, these Chicken Enchiladas are a perfect pairing with your favorite Margarita Recipes! The Mexican spices in the chicken enchiladas pairs nicely with the lime and tequila.
Here’s our favorite homemade Margarita Recipe. They say “everything is fine in moderation” but we have a hard time limiting our intake when these margaritas are on the menu. Make them for Cinco de Mayo and thank us later!
Feel free to make the chicken a day or two in advance.
This is a GREAT meal to serve to guests. They’ll leave full and impressed with your kitchen skills.
You can use corn or flour tortillas, depending on what you have on hand.
Prefer to keep the oven off? Broil the chicken instead of baking it.
PLEASE…don’t use low fat cheese. It doesn’t melt like the good, full fat cheese. It doesn’t taste the same either.
FOODIE AND WINE DRINK PAIRING RECOMMENDATIONS:
WINE- Tempranillo Rosé, Merlot
BEER –American Pale Ale
- 1.5 lb Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts (Approx. 3 Breasts)
- 8 oz Cheddar Cheese or Montery Jack (divided)
- 1 can Green Chilis 4.5 oz
- 1 tsp Your Favorite Chili Spice (Chili Powder Cayenne, Ancho Chili)
- ¼ tsp Ground Cumin
- Salt to Taste
- Pepper to Taste
- 1 can Enchilada Sauce 28 oz
- Topping - Sour Cream or Avocado Optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the chicken in an oven-safe dish and bake for 30-40 minutes, until 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Using 2 forks (or your stand mixer) shred the chicken into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, add half the cheese, green chilis and chicken and combine.
- Add the chili spice, cumin, salt and pepper and toss until combined. Set aside.
- Pour 1/4 of the enchilada sauce to the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Heat up 12 corn tortillas in a microwave for 30-45 seconds, until soft.
- One by one, dip a warmed tortilla into the enchilada sauce and add about 1/4 cup chicken filling to the edge closest to you. Roll up tightly and transfer to the baking dish. Repeat until you've run out of filling.
- Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the tortillas, making sure every part of the tortilla is covered.
- Sprinkle the last half of the cheese evenly over the top.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with your favorite toppings (optional) and enjoy!