The combination of Black Truffles With Pasta is simply sublime. The rich flavor of truffles paired with pasta, butter, garlic and Parmesan cheese is divine. This truffled pasta recipe is ready in only 20 minutes and makes the perfect meal for special occasions and date nights.
The flavor of truffled butter creates an earthy, pungent and musky flavor; it’s similar to other common wild mushrooms, but more rich and deep in flavor. It’s nicknamed “black gold” for good reason. The best part? You don’t need to use fresh truffles to pull off this pasta dish. I’ve made this for years using inexpensive, yet delicious, truffle oil.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- More economical than ordering at your favorite restaurant. Plus you don’t need expensive real truffles to make it.
- Adaptable to your needs. Throw in chicken or spinach for more protein and nutrients.
- Ready in under 20 minutes, start to finish!
The simple ingredients to make pasta with black truffles is short and sweet:
- Pasta (Your favorite dried or fresh pasta)
- Black Truffles
- Garlic Cloves
- Parmesan Cheese or Parmigiano Reggiano
- Salt and Black Pepper
Any leftover truffles can be used to make Truffled Salt.
Types of Truffles
For truffle pasta recipes, there are a variety of different truffles you can use, depending on your budget, the season, and what you have access to. Fresh truffles, truffles in olive oil, or truffle paste will work. You can even use whole truffles, shaved truffles or truffle zest. Prefer white truffles or white truffle oil? Feel free to use, no edits required.
If fresh truffles are out of your budget, just use high-quality truffle oil instead and forego the expensive truffles.
Where To Buy
Black truffles in olive oil are widely available in high-end grocery stores or specialty markets. Fresh black truffles are harder to locate, depending on your location. I opt for ordering on Amazon for ease and access limitations. Here’s the exact brand I usually order, however they have a slew of options.
Truffles With Pasta
Here’s a quick overview to making black truffle pasta with helpful step-by-step photos for those who are visual learners like yours truly.
Prepare The Pasta – Boil a large pot of water and add the pasta. Cook until al dente and save a cup of the cooking water.
Prepare The Truffle Pasta Sauce – Melt the butter and add the truffles and garlic to make the black truffle sauce.
Coat The Pasta – Toss in the cooked pasta and add the pasta water until you desired consistency is achieved. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Plate and Serve – Drizzle the pasta with truffle oil (optional if you have it), shave fresh Parmesan cheese and truffles over the top and serve immediately for best flavor and texture.
- Use high-quality ingredients when making truffle oil pasta as there are only a few ingredients.
- Don’t buy pre-shredded cheese. It’s coated with ingredients that will make the sauce chunky vs creamy.
- Don’t overcook the noodles or sauce. It will greatly affect the final texture of the dish. It’s best to cook the sauce over medium heat or lower.
- Use homemade pasta if that’s your jam. Fresh tagliatelle would be amazing in this black truffle pasta recipe. Or you can throw some in this delicious Black Garlic Pasta.
- Shave some truffle cheese over the top before serving truffles with pasta.
- Don’t add black truffle oil to the dish while cooking as it’s meant to be a finishing oil. The heat will kill the truffle flavor.
- Slice extra truffles over the top before serving for added truffle-goodness!
- Throw in a splash of white wine if you enjoy the flavor in pasta.
Side Dish Ideas
Black Truffle Recipes
Need more uses for your black truffles other than this truffle mushroom pasta recipe? Here are a few of my favorite black truffle recipes:
- Truffle Mashed Potatoes (Coming Soon!)
- Truffle Risotto
- Truffle Honey (Coming Soon!)
- Truffle Aioli (Coming Soon!)
- Truffle Popcorn (Coming Soon!)
Here are a few wines that pair well with truffles with pasta: Pinot Noir, Barolo, Chardonnay or my personal favorite Champagne. Champagne adds a luxurious touch and the bubbles cut through the richness of the pasta.
Truffles with Pasta
- 8 oz pasta noodles ((*Note 1))
- 4 oz Butter
- 1 oz black truffle ((*Note 2))
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup parmesan cheese or parmigiano reggiano, freshly grated
- Optional Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta until al dente (reference the back of the pasta package for exact cook time). Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water.8 oz pasta noodles
- While the pasta is cooking, pre-heat a large skillet over low heat and add the butter. Once melted, add 3/4 of the grated truffles and garlic. Stir well and remove from heat.4 oz Butter, 1 oz black truffle, 1 garlic clove, minced
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet with the truffle butter and gently toss to coat. Add reserved pasta water, 1 tbsp. at a time until your desired consistency is achieved.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to individual serving bowl, top with the rest of the grated truffles and grated parmesan cheese and serve. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.sea salt, to taste, black pepper, to taste, ½ cup parmesan cheese or parmigiano reggiano, freshly grated