Truffled butter is a luxurious and flavorful condiment made with just a few simple ingredients: high-quality butter, truffles, chives and sea salt. You can use this recipe to make either white truffle butter or black truffle butter; both truffle varietals work well.
What Is Truffle Butter?
Truffled butter is a gourmet compound butter made by blending the creamy texture of butter with the rich, earthy flavor of truffles. Truffle compound butter is often used as a finishing butter to enhance the flavor of dishes such as steaks, truffles with pasta, risotto, and vegetables.
Due to the strong flavor and aroma of truffles, only a small amount of truffle butter is needed to impart a significant amount of flavor to a dish.
While the ingredient list is short, it’s imperative to use high-quality ingredients to make the best truffle butter. Using high-end ingredients really highlights the rich earthy flavor of the truffles.
- Room Temperature Butter
- Truffles (Keep reading for recommendations)
- Fine Sea Salt or Truffled Salt
Black truffles and white truffles have two very different flavor profiles. Both work, but there are a few things to keep in mind before deciding which one to purchase and use:
Black Truffle Butter – Black truffles, such as black winter truffles, offer a complex and rich earthy taste. They cost much less than their white counterpart as they’re easier to source.
White Truffle Butter – White truffles are more expensive, powerful, and flavorful than black truffles. They are often described as having a mix of earthy, garlicky, and musky notes. The aroma is intense and can permeate a dish even in small quantities. So if using, start small and work your way up.
Forms of Truffles
There are a few different products you can use to make truffled butter when it comes to the truffle mushrooms themselves. Use the one that’s best suited to your budget and availability.
- Fresh Truffles – Fresh truffles are hard to find and are very expensive. Use them if you can find them and afford them.
- Truffles in Olive Oil – This is the route I usually use. Here’s the exact brand on Amazon I order (Le Ife Italian Black Truffles)
- Truffle Pâté – This is also a great route to make truffled butter. Amazon has quite a few options at various price points.
- Truffle Oil – some recipes call for using truffle oil, but the texture won’t be the same as butter and oil aren’t easy to integrate. Also- most truffle oil isn’t actually made with truffles. At least according to Gordon Ramsay.
If your budget allows, try not to use regular butter. Premium butter really elevates the recipe. Our first pic is a pure french butter or even a creamy Irish butter. No matter which brand you go with, just make sure to use softened butter.
Making this homemade truffle butter recipe takes only 10 minutes to mix up with a 20 minutes resting time for the flavors to meld. Here are the short steps involved in making.
Prep the Truffles – If using truffles in olive oil or truffle pate, make sure to drain as much truffle oil as possible. Keep that liquid gold to make truffled mashed potatoes. Once drained grate with a microplane.
Blend – In a small bowl, mash together the butter, truffles and chives. You can also use a stand mixer or food processor to blend.
Taste Testing – Add sea salt, to taste. You can also amp up the truffles, if desired.
Resting – Let the butter rest on the counter for 20 minutes to meld the flavors
Use – Your truffled butter is ready to go!
There are so many uses for truffled butter! It can be used to add a bit of sophistication to any dish. Here are a few of my favorite black truffle recipes and ideas that will be killer with a pat of truffle butter or two.
- Compound Butter On Steaks – Bavette Steak, Coulotte Steak, Sous Vide FIlet Mignon, and Sous Vide Ribeye.
- Bread – Think garlic bread or fresh baguette
- Scrambled Eggs – Add to the pan before cooking or top the hot eggs with it.
- Gravy or Sauces – Prime Rib Au Jus, and Prime Rib Gravy.
- Vegetables – Add to the pan before sautéing or top the hot vegetables with it.
- Truffle Risotto
- Truffle Gnocchi
- Truffle Mashed Potatoes
- Fresh Pasta – top hot pasta, like Mushroom Ravioli, before serving.
- Two words: Truffle Popcorn
Proportions – A little goes a long way so don’t over do it. Start small and work your way up. Especially if you’re using white truffles.
Texture – For a smoother texture, make sure to use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
Storage – Truffle butter can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. It can also be frozen.
Black Truffle Peelings – If using fresh black truffles, make sure to peel them before using. Save the peelings to make infused truffle oil.
Truffle Butter (Use White or Black Truffles)
- 8 oz unsalted butter, softened ((*Note 1))
- 1 tbsp grated truffles ((*Note 2))
- 1 tbsp sliced chives
- sea salt, to taste
- Add the butter, truffles and chives to a small bowl and mash with a fork. You can also use a stand mixer or food processor to blend.8 oz unsalted butter, softened, 1 tbsp grated truffles, 1 tbsp sliced chives
- Add sea salt, to taste. You can also amp up the truffles, if desired.sea salt, to taste
- Let the butter rest on the counter for 20 minutes to meld the flavors. It's now ready to use.