Try this foolproof method for making the perfect garlic bread recipe every time! Enjoy a crusty golden brown exterior, a chewy interior, and a burst of flavors from a blend of butter, and garlic.
This classic side dish, ready in under 20 minutes with minimal ingredients, pairs wonderfully with your favorite pasta. You’ll never go back to grocery store garlic bread again.
Table of Contents
Garlic Bread Recipe
Butter – The best garlic bread recipe starts with a rich garlic butter sauce using real butter. You can use either salted or unsalted butter. Just make sure the butter is room temperature for easy mixing.
Garlic – You must use fresh garlic cloves as fresh is far superior to garlic powder. I’s important to make sure you have a bulb before making.
Type of Bread
Garlic bread can be made with a variety of bread types. I love soft bread with large surface area, but use what you have on hand. Here are some of the best options:
- French Bread – My favorite bread option! You’ll end up with a crusty exterior and soft interior.
- Baguette – Another popular option. You’ll have a bit more crispy crust to soft interior ratio.
- Ciabatta – You’ll end up with a bit denser and chewy bread.
- Sourdough – Add the unmistakable sourdough flavor to the mix.
- Texas Toast – These thick slices are perfect to use as sandwich bread – perfect for a prime rib sandwich!
How To Make
Only a few simple steps are needed to make the best homemade garlic bread:
Prep Work – Preheat the oven to 400°F with the oven rack in the middle position. Slice the bread lengthwise and place on a large baking sheet.
Make the Garlic Butter – Mix together the garlic butter ingredients in a small bowl. Spread the mixture evenly on the bread.
Bake – Bake for 13-15 minutes. To crisp up the crust, broil for 1-2 minutes.
Finishing Touches – Garnish with fresh parsley (optional) and slice away! Serve immediately for best texture.
Soft or Crispy?
There are a few options when it comes to baking, depending on what final texture you’re going for. Good garlic bread starts with fresh ingredients, but ends with your preferred texture.
- Soft Garlic Bread – Wrap the buttered bread in foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Crispy Garlic Bread – Heat for 12-15 minutes then broil for 1-2 minutes.
This easy homemade garlic bread can quickly and easily adapt to your preference. Here are a few ideas:
Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe – Sprinkle mozzarella over the top for the last 2-3 minutes of baking.
Parmesan Garlic Bread – Mix in a few tablespoons of grated fresh Parmesan cheese before spreading.
Herbed Garlic Bread – Add chopped fresh herbs, such as basil or oregano, or even dried Italian seasoning for an herbaceous kick.
Roasted Garlic – Combine roasted garlic with fresh garlic to introduce an additional layer of garlic flavor.
Darcey’s Tips For Success
Here are a few tips to make the best homemade garlic bread recipe:
- Skip the jar of pre-minced garlic. The flavor is muted and you won’t end up with the delicious garlicky flavor you’re looking for.
- Leftovers – Store leftovers in a Ziploc bag on the kitchen counter. To reheat the garlic bread, wrap in aluminum foil and baked it for 10 minutes at 350 F.
What To Serve It With
This easy garlic bread recipe pairs with so many Italian Recipes, and of course, pasta recipes. It’s the perfect side dish to: Penne Pomodoro, Truffles with Pasta, Sugo Sauce, Squid Ink Pasta or basic Spaghetti.
This recipe was originally posted in February 2015, but has been updated with new photos, additional text and slight edits to the recipe. The below picture is one of the original photos.
Homemade Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf French bread
- 5-6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 8 tbsp butter, melted
- ¼ tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the bread in half (lengthwise) and place on the baking sheet.
- Add the melted butter, minced garlic, parsley and salt to a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Evenly distribute the butter mixture over the 2 pieces of french bread.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until it's a bit brown on the outside and still soft in the center. Optional: broil for 2-3 minutes for an extra crispy crust.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 2-3 minutes to cool down. Slice and enjoy!
- For ultra soft garlic bread, wrap the bread in foil after adding the garlic spread and cook for 15 minutes.