Easy Swedish Meatballs smothered in rich, creamy, gravy. You won’t miss IKEAs version after tasting these homemade bad boys. Ready in about 30 minutes! Serve them along side our Garlic Mashed Potatoes or even Air Fryer Mushrooms for a complete meal.
IKEA has nothing on our Easy Swedish Meatballs. One bite and you’ll be hooked. Who needs to battle slow walkers, screaming kids and long lines? Instead of spending 2 hours going to IKEA, spend just 30 minutes preparing our Easy Swedish Meatballs.
This Swedish Meatballs Recipe is family friendly and is a great addition to a potluck or family holiday. They’re also relatively inexpensive to make.
See how creamy this Swedish Meatballs Gravy is? You’ll be lapping it up like your doggie when you hit the bottom of your bowl. Woof Woof!
Swedish Meatballs Recipe
Serve over egg noodles or rice or eat solo!
You will have left over sauce. Enough to smother any egg noodles or rice served along with the meatballs.
Meatballs can be frozen for up to 3 months. Just defrost and proceed to step 6.
Make sure to level the allspice when measuring. A little goes a LONG way. We repeat. A little goes A LONG WAY.
This recipe is easy to double or triple! No adjustments needed.
Now excuse us while we kick back and nosh on our Easy Swedish Meatballs. Dinner is served.
Easy Swedish Meatballs
- 1 tbsp olive oil (Divided)
- 1 Small Onion (Diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (Minced)
- 1 lb Ground Beef or Pork
- 1/4 cup Plain Bread Crumbs
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
- 1/8 tsp Ground Allspice
- Salt and Black Pepper (To taste)
- 1 tbsp Pan Drippings
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
- 4 cup Beef Broth
- 3/4 cup Full Fat Sour Cream
- Salt and Black Pepper (To Taste)
- OPTIONAL- Fresh Parsley Leaves
- Pre-heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil followed by the onions and garlic. Cook until soft and translucent (approx. 3 minutes).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked onions, meat, bread crumbs, egg yolk, garlic and allspice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using clean hands, mix until combined.
- Form the meatballs by rolling the dough between the palms of your hands. Each meatball should be about 1.5".
- Heat the same skillet back up to medium heat.
- Add remaining oil followed by 6 meatballs (don't crowd the pan!). Cook until all sides are browned.
- Once browned, transfer to a paper-lined cookie sheet and repeat with the remaining 6 meatballs.
- After the meatballs are browned, remove the excess pan drippings, keeping only a tablespoon in the skillet.
- Add the butter to the skillet and whisk in the flour until lightly browned (approx. 1 minute).
- Whisk in the beef broth for about 2 minutes, until slightly thick.
- Whisk in the sour cream.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add all 12 meatballs to the gravy and cook, turning the meatballs occasionally, until cooked throughout (approx. 10 minutes).
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.