Air Fryer Artichokes
Make roasted artichokes in the air fryer in only 15 minutes! That’s half the time of making these beloved grilled artichokes. Air Fryer artichokes are loaded with tender leaves and artichoke hearts. Plus we have 6 awesome artichoke dipping sauces to choose from! Makes a great vegetable side dish or even light lunch!
How To Prepare Artichokes
Step 1: Rinse the artichokes, trim the stem to the base and remove the tough outer leaves. I usually do the first two top layers or so.
Step 2: Cut the top 1/4 – 1/3 off the artichokes with a sharp knife then trim the pointy leaf ends with kitchen scissors. Step 3: Cut in half lengthwise. You can remove the fuzzy choke before cooking or after.
Step 4: Coat the exposed areas with the lemon wedges followed by olive oil and salt and pepper, to taste.
Step 5: Transfer the artichoke halves CUT SIDE DOWN to the air fryer. Now you’re ready to roast!
How to Cook Artichokes in Air Fryer
Air fried artichokes really are simple to make. There’s only 4 short steps after preparing the artichoke. Here’s how to make artichokes in the air fryer:
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 345° F while you prep the artichokes.
- Once pre-heated pop the artichoke halves in the fryer for 12-15 minutes.
- Once done, try pulling an outer leaf, from the base of the artichoke, to see if it pulls away easily. If so, it’s ready to rock! If not, put them back in and continue to cook until they are.
Whole Artichoke In Air Fryer
This artichoke air fryer recipe works best with small – medium size artichokes, cut in half. It’s very difficult to make an Air Fryer Whole Artichoke and get the middle of a whole artichoke tender without burning the leaves. As such, we highly recommend cutting that bad boy in half to cook. Air Fryer Baby Artichokes are the way to go when making roasted artichoke in the air fryer.
Do You Need To Parboil Artichokes Before Air Frying?
Fresh artichoke recipes usually require a parboil if roasting, however you do not have to parboil when utilizing the air fryer, as cutting the artichoke in half cancels the need. Should you decide you really want to air fry a whole artichoke, we highly recommend parboiling for approx. 10-15 minutes.
Artichoke Dipping Sauces
These are our go-to artichoke dipping sauce recipes for both air fried artichokes and air fryer artichoke hearts. You can’t eat artichokes without a killer artichoke sauce.
Creamy Lemon Mayo Sauce (Pictured)
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup Whole Greek Yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1-2 Grated Garlic Cloves
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, greek yogurt, fresh lemon juice, dijon mustard, and garlic. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Taste and adjust seasoning as preferred. Serve with the cooked artichokes.
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 Grated Garlic Cloves
Add the butter to a small saucepan and melt over medium heat. Stir in the grated garlic and simmer for 1 minute. Add salt, to taste. Remove from the heat and serve with the cooked artichokes. You can always use garlic powder if you don’t have garlic cloves on hand.
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Grated Garlic Clove
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Stir to combine.
Chipotle Mayo Aioli
Boom Boom Sauce
Lemon Herb Sauce
This lemon herb artichoke dipping sauce is what we used on our grilled artichokes! It’s pictured below
- Artichokes will start to oxidize once cut, so make sure you rub the lemon juice over the cut sides to prevent browning.
- Make sure to pre-heat your air fryer to ensure best results when making air fryer artichoke recipes.
- We leave the choke in the artichokes while cooking, but if that’s not your style, feel free to scoop it out prior.
- Cooking times vary depending on the brand and size of your air fryer.
- There are two ways to trim the top and spiny leaves of the artichoke. If you have a sharp kitchen knife and some arm power, it’s easy to utilize a knife to accomplish this task. Cut off the steam at the base and about 1/4 – 1/3 of the top of the artichoke. If your knife’s are dull or you don’t have a ton of arm strength, it’s best to use kitchen shears to do this.
- For my Air Fryer Recipes, I use the June Oven. In the market for a new Air Fryer? Amazon has a ton on options, including the very popular Ninja Foodie Digital Fry.
How to Reheat Artichokes
To re-heat an artichoke, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Drizzle some olive oil over each artichoke you’re re-heating before wrapping, individually in aluminum foil. Transfer the artichokes to a baking dish and re-heat for 15 minutes.
What Wine Goes With Artichokes
Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Grüner Veltliner, or Albariño.
- 2 Small-Medium Artichokes (*Note 1)
- 1 Small Lemon, Cut Into Wedges
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Black Pepper, To Taste
Creamy Lemon Mayo Sauce
- ¼ Cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ Cup Whole Greek Yogurt
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Garlic Butter Dipping Sauce
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 Grated Garlic Cloves
- ½ Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Grated Garlic Clove
- 2 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- ¼ tsp Salt
PREP THE ARTICHOKES:
- After rinsing the artichokes, remove the outer leaves, cut the top off the artichokes with a knife and cut the spiky tips off the rest of the leaves. Once the leaves are trimmed, cut the stem at the base of the artichoke. Cut them in half, lengthwise before rubbing lemon slices over the exposed areas to prevent browning.
COOK THE ARTICHOKES:
- Preheat the air fryer to 345° F.
- Position the artichokes with the exposed middles facing. up. Drizzle the olive oil over the tops and rub to cover all areas. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray, if your model requires it. Place the artichokes, cut side down, in the air fryer basket. Drizzle the back sides with olive oil and rub to cover all areas. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes (or until ready). The total time depends on the size of the artichoke and the air fryer model you're using. (*Note 2)
- Remove from the air fryer and serve with your favorite artichoke dipping sauce.
MAKE THE DIPPING SAUCE:
- Creamy Lemon Mayo Sauce: In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, greek yogurt, fresh lemon juice, dijon mustard, and garlic. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Taste and adjust seasoning as preferred.
- Garlic Butter Dipping Sauce: Add the butter to a small saucepan and melt over medium heat. Stir in the grated garlic and simmer for 1 minute. Add salt, to taste. Remove from the heat and serve with the cooked artichokes. You can always use garlic powder if you don't have garlic cloves on hand.
- Garlic Aioli: In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Stir to combine.
- Chipotle Mayo Aioli: Click for full recipe!
- Lemon Herb Sauce: Click for full recipe!