Whip up a batch of spicy and rich cajun sauce in just 10 minutes! Cajun butter sauce makes the best marinade or dipping sauce, along with garlic butter sauce.
There are two seasoning routes you can take when making cajun sauce: use store bought seasoning or make your own, as detailed in the recipe card. You can actually substitute in creole seasoning, if that’s your jam.
The only spices you need to make your own cajun seasoning is: cayenne pepper, dried oregano, dried thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, and salt.
Dipping Sauce Uses
This spicy sauce makes a fantastic marinade. Just use it in the same fashion you would a dry marinade. Make sure to reserve a bit of it to utilize as a dipping sauce.
Seafood Boil Sauce
Find a seafood boil recipe you like, such as this highly rated one, and replace the more complicated sauce with this bad boy. You won’t regret it.
Dipping Sauces For Crab Legs
While this cajun dipping sauce is fantastic on almost all seafood, it’s an excellent dipping sauce for crab legs, like our Baked Crab Legs. Butter is the BEST base for seafood dipping sauce. Horseradish sauce is a close second, but butter gets the gold.
Cajun Butter Sauce Variations
- Bring on the heat! This recipe mirrors the standard creole spices you’ll pick up at the grocery store. For an “extra spicy” mix, increase the amount of cayenne pepper or spike it with some ghost pepper.
- Tone Down the Heat! For a “mild” version, decrease the amount of cayenne pepper. You’ll get all the flavor without as much heat.
- Sweet Sauce – Like a bit of sweet and spicy in a cajun sauce? Add in a little maple syrup or honey, to taste.
- For a thicker sauce, add 1-2 tsp of flour.
- Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Our favorite store bought cajun seasoning brands are Slap Ya Mama and Tony Chachere’s.
- Keep the heat setting to low, so the sauce gets a nice simmer going
Recipes To Use This Dipping Sauce
This cajun butter sauce is a great base to use in a Turkey Injection Recipe.
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
HOMEMADE CAJUN SEASONING
- 1½ tbsp Minced Garlic (*NOTE 1)
- ¾ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp Dried Thyme
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Dried Oregano
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- ¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- Pre-heat a small saucepan over medium-low heat and add the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the lemon juice, garlic, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, black pepper and salt, and whisk to combine. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.