Horseradish Aioli, a bold and creamy mayonnaise-based spread like Sriracha Aioli, takes just 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to whip up.
Along with our Horseradish Sauce for Prime Rib and Horseradish Sauce For Beef Tenderloin, these flavor bombs add a kick to favorites such as a Reuben Sandwich, prime rib, prime rib sandwich, Sous Vide Chuck Roast, Smoked Leg of Lamb, Smoked Corned Beef or even a tri tip sandwich.
The only ingredients you need to whip up a batch of this tasty goodness: horseradish, mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Here’s a list of horseradish substitute if you need to reference alternatives.
You can use fresh horseradish or prepared horseradish to make this horseradish sauce with mayo. If using fresh horseradish, make sure to finely grate it with a zester. If using prepared horseradish make sure to drain the excess liquid before adding it to the mix.
It can also be used to make Horseradish Mashed Potatoes.
How to Make Horseradish Aioli Sauce
To make this horseradish mayo recipe, just add all the ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine. Cover and transfer to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Aioli vs Mayo
Aioli and mayonnaise aren’t the same, however in our part of the world they’re often used interchangeably. More than likely when you order something with “aioli” on it in the United States, you’ll get a mayo based sauce.
Classic aioli is an emulsion of olive oil and garlic, while mayo is an emulsion of egg, oil and acid (like lemon juice).
Uses For Horseradish Aioli
The list is endless!
- Prime Rib – Smoked prime rib or sous vide prime rib. All our prime rib recipes are highly rated – check out the reviews!
- Corned Beef Recipes – Make a batch of Instant Pot corned beef or sous vide corned beef
- Steak – Makes a great dipping sauce for sous vide ribeye, smoked London broil, picanha or Denver steak
- Beef Tenderloin – Serve it with smoked beef tenderloin or individual beef wellingtons
- French Fries – Air fried frozen french fries
- Stuffed Artichokes
- Vegetable Dip
- Even Sushi Recipes (great sushi sauce)
Horseradish Mustard – To make horseradish mustard sauce, add 1-2 teaspoons of dijon mustard.
Vegan Horseradish Sauce – Use vegan mayonnaise to make this a vegan sauce.
Fresh Herbs – Add fresh herbs like chives, parsley, dill or oregano.
- For a mild horseradish sauce, stick with the prepared horseradish as fresh is almost twice as spicy.
- Since mayo makes up the largest chunk of this horseradish aioli, don’t use mayo you don’t care for the flavor of.
- Use fresh lemon juice, not bottled lemon juice. Bottled juice has a “packaged” flavor vs fresh so will alter the taste.
- Start with the recipe, as written. Taste and adjust as needed. Like tons of spice? Add extra horseradish. Love the tang of lemon, add an extra splash.
- Homemade horseradish sauce can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- This is one of 7 prime rib sauce recipes to consider serving at your Christmas dinner and one of 50 “What to Serve With Prime Rib” options.
- Use any leftover sauce to go with Recipes with Leftover Prime Rib.
- 1 cup Mayonnaise (*Note 1)
- 2 tbsp Prepared Horseradish, Drained (*Note 2)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
- 1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- Salt, To Taste
- Black Pepper, To Taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust ingredients as desired.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to two weeks.