This sumptuous horseradish sauce for beef tenderloin is the ideal accompaniment for a festive Christmas roast. The creamy horseradish sauce you love at high-end steakhouses can easily be made at home with only 5 ingredients.
Beef tenderloin with horseradish sauce is a timeless and versatile condiment that pairs exceptionally well with roast beef. It’s spicy, tangy flavor complements the tenderloin’s richness.
“Best prime rib horseradish sauce recipe ever tried. A little tangy and just right. The most delicious!” – Carol
This is an excellent sauce for prime rib….the best horseradish sauce I’ve ever made. Had requests for the recipe.” – Kathy
Beef Tenderloin Sauce Ingredients
Here are the ingredients required to make this steak dipping sauce:
- Horseradish – Either fresh horseradish roots or a jar of prepared horseradish from the grocery store. Store bought jarred horseradish has excess liquid so make sure to drain before using.
- Sour Cream – Sour cream adds the creamy texture and tang.
- Mayonnaise – Mayo adds the structure and body.
- Dijon Mustard – Adds depth to the sauce.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Balances and harmonizes the flavors.
- Chives – Adds a hint of fresh flavor.
Read up on the differences between prepared horseradish vs horseradish sauce if you’re unsure of the differences between the two.
How To Make Horseradish Sauce For Beef Tenderloin
To make this horsey sauce recipe, add all the ingredients to a small mixing bowl and stir to combine. Transfer to an air tight container and refrigerate until ready to serve. I recommend making this horseradish sauce for beef tenderloin 24-hours in advance to let the flavors meld.
Arby’s Horsey Sauce
Arby lovers! This is a great copycat recipe for Arby’s Horsey Sauce.
More Uses For This Steak Sauce
The list is long! Here’s my favorite recipes to use horseradish, and even Horseradish Aioli, on:
- Horseradish Sauce For Rib Roast – Perfect with any rib roast recipes: Smoked prime rib, and sous vide prime rib. All our prime rib recipes are highly rated – check out the reviews!
- Corned Beef – make a batch for Baked Corned Beef, Instant Pot Corned Beef or Sous Vide Corned Beef.
- Sandwiches – lather on this prime rib sandwich or Tri Tip Sandwich.
- Individual Beef Wellingtons – I serve it with red wine au jus, but horseradish sauce would also be killer.
- Use as a dipping sauce for Smoked Kielbasa and Smoked Sausage.
Expert Tips From The Chef
- Start with the beef tenderloin horseradish sauce recipe, as written. Taste and adjust as needed.
- You can use apple cider vinegar, champagne vinegar or even lemon juice as the acid, depending on what you have available.
- For a milder horseradish sauce, stick with prepared horseradish since it’s not as spicy as fresh horseradish.
- Use full fat mayonnaise and sour cream as low fat options will alter the perfect balance of creaminess and tang.
- Use any leftover horseradish sauce for beef tenderloin on any of these Recipes with Leftover Prime Rib. Leftover filet mignon will work in any of these recipes.
How Long Does Horseradish Last?
Leftover horseradish sauce, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, lasts up to two weeks. The flavor does become muted the longer it sits.