Quick and Easy Instant Pot Corned Beef recipe! Serve this Pressure Cooker Corned Beef recipe with tender cabbage, carrots and potatoes for a complete St Patricks Day dinner! Or, use it to make a Reuben Sandwich. This will quickly become one of your favorite Instant Pot recipes!
This pressure cooker Corned Beef recipe, as with our Baked Corned Beef, Smoked Corned Beef and Sous Vide Corned Beef recipes, uses a store bought, pre-cured corned beef as to make the corned beef as quick and easy as possible.
How Long Does It Take To Make Instant Pot Corned Beef
It takes about two hours, start to finish to make Corned Beef in the Instant Pot. That INCLUDES the time it takes for the instant pot to come to pressure.
Corned Beef Temperature
For food safety, the internal temperature of corned beef brisket needs to be 145 degrees F, however the collagen doesn’t begin to break down until 160-180 degrees F, so you don’t want to stop at 145 degrees F. Cooking it for 70 minutes in the instant pot ensures tender brisket that is safe to consume yet is moist and succulent.
What’s In The Spice Packet
Prefer to make your own corned beef when making Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage? First step is to mix up the spices. Here’s our go-to homemade Corned Beef Spices mix.
Corned beef seasoning mix usually includes black peppercorn, dill seeds, mustard seeds and bay leaves. Other great additions include coriander seeds, fennel seeds, star anise or red pepper flakes.
- If the corned beef brisket is thicker than 1.5″, add 5 – 6 minutes of High Pressure Cooking Time for every additional 1/2″.
- Try and grab a corned beef uniform in thickness for even cooking.
- When making the cabbage, potatoes and carrots, make sure to use high quality broth. We always use Instant Pot Bone Broth when we have some on hand.
- Corned beef in instant pot pairs well with beer! Instead of using broth, you can use a cup of flavorful beer, like Guinness.
- Corned beef can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- We utilized the popular Instant Pot Duo Plus for this corned beef recipe.
How To Slice Corned Beef
Slice against the grain in thin strips to keep the roast nice and tender to chew. You want thin slices, about 1/8″ to keep it flaky and tender.
What to Serve With Instant Pot Corned Beef
Obviously sous vide corned beef and cabbage, carrots and potatoes are our go-to side items when making instant pot corned beef brisket, however you could always mix it up and go with air fryer baby potatoes, garlic mashed potatoes or even slow cooker mashed potatoes.
If you prefer not to make the cabbage in the Instant Pot you could always make Haluski on the stovetop.
What To Make With Leftover Beef Brisket
A few of our favorite to utilize leftover brisket are reuben sandwiches, Rachel sandwiches, Corned beef hash or soup recipes.
What Wine Goes With Corned Beef
Red Wine: Beaujolais, Pinot Noir, Grenache or Zinfandel
White Wine: Pinot Gris, Riesling, Gewürztraminer or Grüner Veltliner
Click to view more Irish Recipes:
Instant Pot Corned Beef:
- 2.5-3 lb. Corned Beef, Including Spice Packet (*Note 1)
- 4 cups Beef Broth
- 2 lb Small Gold or Red Potatoes, Diced
- 3 cups Carrots, Cut Into 1½" Chunks
- 1 Green Cabbage, Cut Into Wedges
- Salt and Black Pepper, To Taste
- OPTIONAL STEP: Soak the brisket in cold water for 4 hours, changing the water once an hour, to remove excess salt. If you don't have 4 hours to spare, just rinse it well under cold water and pat dry.
- Add the corned beef, spice packet and beef broth to the instant pot fitted with the rack it came with.
- Put the lid on the instant pot, making sure the valve is in the sealed position, and pressure cook on high for 70 minutes (*Note 2). Once the time is up, let it naturally release for 15 minutes before quick releasing the rest.
- Remove the corned beef and two cups of liquid and transfer to a large serving bowl. Cover with foil and set aside.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and cabbage to the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 3-4 minutes. Quick release once the time is up.
- Cut the corned beef into 1/8" slices and serve immediately with the vegetables. Salt and pepper, to taste.