Rustic and Easy Irish Potato Soup Recipe loaded with classic Irish ingredients and charm. This Instant Pot Potato Soup is ready in just 30 minutes! Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup is a perfect Irish recipe, even when it’s not Saint Patricks Day!
Nothing screams “Irish Food” more than simple, rustic ingredients. Turning what little variety, and food, they had at their disposal into hearty masterpieces is classic to Irish cuisine. Think Steak and Ale Pie or Shepard’s Pie. These Air Fryer Baby Potatoes and Garlic Mashed Potatoes are also killer!
Unlike our popular Potato and Leek Soup Recipe, that focuses on flavor from leeks and spices, this Potato Soup in Instant Pot recipe focuses on flavor from additions such as bacon and cheese. It’s more of a “loaded baked potato recipe”, if you will.
For this Instant Pot Soup recipe, we used the popular Instant Pot Duo Plus which has a 6 qt capacity.
What Is Irish Potato Soup?
Traditional Irish Potato Soup has humble beginnings. It was a staple to the Irish diet in the 1800’s, with the exception of the tragic Great Potato Famine of 1845-1849, and continues to this day. Potatoes are nutrient-dense and hearty and grow well in the very cold climates. Hence the creation of a rustic and easy potato soup.
Other popular soup recipes: Instant Pot Split Pea Soup, Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana Soup, Chicken Gnocchi Soup, Olive Garden Minestrone Soup, Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup, and 10-Minute Egg Drop Soup Recipe.
Irish Potato Soup INGREDIENTS
Protein – bacon
Vegetables – onion, kale, garlic, potatoes
Liquid – low sodium chicken stock
Dairy – heavy cream and unsalted butter
Spices – kosher salt and black pepper
How To Make Irish Potato Soup
Pre-heat the instant pot on the saute setting and cook the bacon until crisp. Transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate, keeping the grease in the pot.
Step 2 & 3
Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the kale and saute for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and saute for a minute.
Step 5 & 6
Add the potatoes, stock, salt and black pepper and gently stir. Put the lid on the instant pot and pressure cook on high for 7 minutes before quick releasing the pressure.
Step 7 & 8
Set the instant pot to saute on low. Add the heavy cream and butter and stir. Remove 2 tablespoons of cooling liquid and add to a small bowl. Whisk in the cornstarch and add it to the soup.
Use an immersion blender to blend the soup. If you like a chunky soup, remove a few of the potato chunks and add them back in before serving.
Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup Recipe Tips
An immersion blender is best for blending the soup. If you’re using a traditional blender, make sure to cool off the soup before blending and work in small batches.
Do not over-blend this Potato and Bacon Soup as the potato will turn gummy. It’s the exact same reason you don’t want to over-mix mashed taters.
How to store Potato Soup in Instant Pot- Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
What to Serve With Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup
Rosemary and Garlic Dinner Rolls
Irish Soda Bread
Garden Side Salad
Wine Pairings With Potato Soup
Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Rosé or Brut Sparkling Wine
Oregon Pinot Noir
I’d love to hear from you! Please leave a recipe rating, snap a pic and use the hashtag #foodieandwine, after you’ve made the recipe, and post to social media!
Loaded Instant Pot Irish Potato Soup
- 2-3 Strips Bacon, Chopped (*Note 1)
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 3 Cups Kale, Stems Removed and Chopped (*Note 2)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 4 Large Yukon Gold Potatoes, Peeled and Cubed (*Note 3)
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock (*Note 4)
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tps Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- Turn the Instant Pot on and click the "Saute" button (followed by the "start" button if your model requires it). Wait for the unit to fully pre-heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp (approx. 5-8 minutes).
- Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate with a slotted spoon, leaving the grease in the pot. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions have softened and started to brown (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add the kale and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30-60 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the potatoes, chicken stock, salt, and black pepper and gently stir. Place the lid on the Instant Pot making sure the steam valve is in the closed position. Set the Instant Pot to Manual/Pressure Cook on High for 7 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot has finished, carefully release the pressure manually by switching the valve to the “venting” position.
- Remove the lid and set the Instant Pot to the Sauté Low setting. Add the heavy cream and butter. Stir to combine.
- Remove 2 tablespoons of cooking liquid and add to a small bowl. Whisk in the cornstarch and then add the slurry to the soup.
- Use an immersion blender (or let cool and transfer to a blender) and blend the soup to your desired consistency. If you like a chunky consistency, remove a few of the large potato chunks before blending. Add them back in before serving for a nice chunky texture.
- Cook on the Sauté-Low setting for an additional 5 minutes, or until the soup has thickened to your desired consistency. Serve immediately. Garnished with extra bacon and cheese, if desired.