Egg Drop Soup is so easy to make at home! Easy 10 Minute Egg Drop Soup recipe using recipes you probably have on hand. This Asian Soup recipe is loaded with flavor and ready in just 10 minutes.
This Chinese Egg Drop Soup recipe tastes just like the real thing. Peking Palace can keep their $50. It’s homemade Chinese Food from here on out in my kitchen…..
Unless we’re feeling lazy.
Or it’s date night.
Or we don’t have the ingredients on hand.
The best part about this easy Asian-inspired soup is how easy it is! It’s seriously one of the easiest soup recipes I’ve ever made. All you need is a handful of pantry staples and of course eggs. We also use our Instant Bone Bone Broth (or even Vegetable Stock) when we have extra chicken bones to use up
What Is Egg Drop Soup?
An American Chinese staple, egg drop is one of the most popular restaurant soups next to wonton soup.
Simply put, this soup is made by stirring whisked eggs into boiling chicken or vegetable broth. It’s super luscious and creamy from the yolks, but has bits of cooked eggs for a fun texture.
Lots of restaurants add crunchy tempura bits on top, but I keep mine simple with some green onions.
How to Make Egg Drop Soup
1. First, which together the whole eggs and the extra egg white. Set it aside for later.
2. Then, mix some chicken broth with the cornstarch. Set it aside, too.
3. Now, add the rest of the broth to a stockpot with garlic salt, ginger, black pepper, and green onions. Bring to a rapid boil.
4. Once it’s at a rolling boil, add the corn starch mixture to the pot and stir for a couple minutes until it thickens.
5. To finish the soup, bring it back to a boil. Stir the broth in a clockwise direction with a non-slotted spoon. While stirring, add the whisked eggs to the mix. They should cook almost instantly. Once completely set, serve and enjoy!
What to Serve with Egg Drop Soup
You can always add a simple Chinese fried rice dish to any Asian-inspired night! This one is packed with veggies and flavor at a fraction of the take-out price.
There’s so many amazing varieties of Asian-inspired chicken wings. Keep it sweet with these Sticky Asian Oven Baked Wings, or add a little bright spice to the dinner table with Orange Grilled Chicken Wings. Feeding a crowd? Make a little of both!
Mix your cuisines with this delicious Korean beef bulgogi.
1. MUST DO: Use high quality stock! The higher quality chicken broth you use, the better this easy egg drop soup will taste. This isn’t the place to save pennies. With minimal ingredients, it’s important to stay with the good stuff.
2. Unlike most soups, egg drop soup does not do well left over.
3. Ovo-Vegetarian: Use high quality Vegetable Stock vs Chicken. You’ll still get the depth of flavors you’re looking for.
4. Feeling hungry? Add in an extra egg or egg white if you dare!
5. Add texture by adding corn or any other veggie you like. It’s not our cup of tea, but it could be yours.
6. Make it gluten-free. Use Arrowroot in place of cornstarch.
More Easy Soup Recipes
Irish Potato Soup
Unstuffed Cabbage Soup
Pasta e Fagioli
Zuppa Toscana Soup
Carrot Ginger Soup
Potato and Leek Soup
Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
Egg Drop Soup
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Egg White
- 1.5 tbsp Cornstarch or Arrowroot
- 4 cup High Quality Chicken Stock
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Ground Ginger
- 6 in Stalks Green Onions Divided in half
- Add the eggs and egg white to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Take 3/4 cup of chicken broth and add the cornstarch. Stir until combined and set aside.
- Pour the balance of the broth into a stockpot and add the garlic salt, ginger, black pepper and green onions. Stir to combine and bring to a rapid boil.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the boiling broth and stir for 1-2 minutes to thicken.
- Bring the broth back to a rolling boil and gently stir in a clockwise direction using a wooden spoon or plastic spatula (non slotted). Gently pour the egg mixture into the broth while continuing to stir in a clockwise direction.
- Slowly stir for about 30 seconds. Eggs should cook almost immediately.
- Divide into 4 bowls and top with green onions.
- Enjoy immediately.
Inspired by All Recipes