No need to wait until cool weather to enjoy this Creamy Tomato Soup. It’s packs a punch with each bite and shouldn’t be delegated to winter time. Our Creamy Tomato Soup is loaded with basil, tomatoes and cream. Oh, did I mention it’s ready in just 10 minutes?
Soup season is officially here! Unpack your scarves, heated blankets and soup pots and settle in for a long winter. That El Niño is ruining everyone’s fun this season, but we’re trying to see the bright side and focusing on all the soup recipes we plan on adding to our menu plan. Up first is our 10 minute Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe. Nothing brings warmth to your body more than gulping down a spoonful of tomato, basil and cream.
When it comes to soup recipes we’re not big on the “sit on the stove for hours” recipes. We like quick, easy and convenient. From start to finish you can have this Creamy Tomato Soup recipe in your belly in about 10 minutes. Even those who hate cold weather (hand raised) can tear themselves away from the heated blanket long enough to cook and slurp down this bowl of goodness.
Creamy Tomato Soup
1. You don’t have to have a blender or handheld immersion blender to make this recipe. Use a handheld masher and go at it “Chunky-style”. Not to be confused with “animal style”. If you do use a blender, BE CAREFUL! Adding hot liquid to a cold glass blender is dangerous. Make sure the lid is on tight. Consider yourself warned.
2. Any style of canned tomatoes will work with this recipe. We prefer whole San Marzano Whole Tomatoes, since we use an immersion blender, but recommend diced tomatoes if you’re mashing by hand.
3. This is a very adaptable recipe. Like basil? Feel free to double the amount listed. HATE basil? Leave it out and increase the garlic. Just play around with it to find your favorite proportions.
4. On the 21 Day Fix Diet or Dairy Free Diet? Leave out the whole cream. (other 21 Day Fix Recipes).
5. Use any flavor broth that you like – vegetable (for Vegans or Vegetarians), beef or chicken. We prefer chicken but the others will work as well.
DRINK PAIRING RECOMMENDATIONS
Wine- Chilled Sherry, Sauvignon Blanc or an Albariño
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Small Sweet Onion (Diced)
- 2 Cloves garlic (Finely Minced)
- 1 can Tomatoes (Crushed, Diced or Whole -28 oz)
- 1 tbsp Chicken Base (or Vegetable)
- 2 cup Tomato Juice or Water
- ½ tbsp Sugar
- ¼ tsp Italian Seasonings
- 1/2-1 cup Heavy Cream
- Minced Basil (to Taste)
- Black Pepper (to Taste)
- Salt (to Taste)
- Add the olive oil, onion and garlic to a dutch pot or large sauce pan and heat over medium heat until the onions are translucent (about 2 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, chicken base and tomato juice and stir to combine.
- Add the sugar and Italian seasonings and stir to combine
- Let the soup simmer over medium heat for 7-8 minutes. Soup should be hot!
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Blend the soup with a immersion blender (recommended) for a smooth finish.
- Divide into 3 bowls and top with heavy cream and minced basil.
- Enjoy immediately.