Use freshly cooked or leftover tri tip to make a delectable Tri Tip Sandwich, featuring smoked gouda, pickled red onions, arugula and jalapeno aioli piled on top of crusty ciabatta bread.
We have two tri tip recipes to choose from to make this steak sandwich: Sous Vide Tri Tip or Smoked Tri Tip (to make a Smoked Tri Tip sandwich). TIP: You can forgo the “smoke” in the smoked version to make it a grilled tri tip sandwich.
Tri Tip Sandwiches
Tri Tip Sandwich Recipe Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you need to prepare this sandwich:
- Tri Tip Roast
- Bread (Recommend: Ciabatta)
- Cheese (Recommend: Smoked Gouda)
- Pickled Red Onions
- Jalapeno Aioli (or Sriracha Aioli, Red Pepper Jelly)
When making, whip up the jalapeno aioli first so it’s ready to go when needed. The only ingredients you need to make the jalapeno aioli recipe are: mayonnaise, lime, garlic, jalapeno and salt.
Cooking Tri Tip
As mentioned above, we have two different tri tip recipes so far on Foodie and Wine, however you can use any tri tip recipe you like. Have restaurant leftovers? Use them. Craving Cardiff Crack (shout out to my San Diego readers!)? Use it.
Leftover Tri Tip
Using leftover tri tip? You’re going to love this tri tip sandwich recipe. The genius of the recipe…the cold beef is only broiled for a few minutes, along with the bread and cheese, so it won’t overcook. No dry meat in this recipe! The “pink center” will stay pink! AND….it cuts down on prep time.
Per the USDA, tri tip is best when eaten within two or three days. The more “well done” the tri tip, the longer it will last in the refrigerator. Something to keep in mind, when menu planning.
Here’s a visual breakdown of how to assemble the sandwich. The order is important to maintain texture, melt the cheese, and if using leftover tri tip, warm the beef!
Make the Jalapeno Aioli Recipe – Start by making the aioli. This way the flavors have time to meld.
Make the Tri Tip – If using leftover tri tip, take it out of the refrigerator and slice thinly, against the grain. If using freshly cooked tri tip, get to cooking! Proceed to the next step after the tri tip roast has rested.
Pre-heat the Oven – Pre-heat the oven to broil (high).
Toast the Bread (OPTIONAL)- Depending on the bread you use, you may want to toast it if it’s overly soft. We do not toast the bread when using Ciabatta, but it’s a personal preference. To toast: Place two pieces of bread on a baking sheet and toast for 3-4 minutes, until your desired brownness is achieved.
Re-heat the Meat – Skip this step if you’re using a freshly made tri tip roast and the meat is still warm. Layer the sliced tri tip on top of the bottom slice of bread, as pictured below. Broil for 3-5 minutes, until the meat is warm.
Melt the Cheese – Layer the cheese, in a single layer, on top of the re-heated slices of tri tip. If using freshly made tri tip, you’ll put the cheese directly on the bottom slice of bread. Broil for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is soft. Depending on the style of cheese you select, it may not be melted, rather soft and creamy.
Add the Meat – if you didn’t have to re-heat the sliced meat in the previous step, add it now.
Add the Toppings – Pile on the pickled red onions and arugula, to taste.
Slather on the Aioli – Spread the aioli on the top piece of the bread, to taste. Place the top bun on the bottom bun and enjoy!
Best Bread For Steak Sandwiches
We usually stick with ciabatta bread, but love using garlic bread (either in a large loaf or individual slices). You could also use French bread or baguette. All of these options toast well. The broiling time may differer, however, so adjust accordingly.
Prime Rib Au Jus
If you’re looking for more of a french dip style sandwich, we have you covered. Omit the jalapeno aioli and replace the pickled red onions with grilled onions. Serve with a cup of our prime rib au jus. We use this liquid gold in our Prime Rib Sandwich.
Tri Tip Sliders
Replace the ciabatta bread with slider rolls. No other changes are needed.
Drink Pairing Ideas
Bordeaux, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Shiraz, Malbec. Of course a classic Amber Ale beer would be stellar.
Tri Tip Sandwich
- 1 Tri Tip Roast (Click For Recipe Options) ((*Note 1))
- ½ Cup Mayonnaise
- 1½ Large Jalapeno, Seeded
- 1 tsp Fresh Lime Juice
- ½ tsp Minced Garlic
- Salt, To Taste
TRI TIP SANDWICH:
- 4 Ciabatta Rolls ((*Note 2))
- 4 Slices Smoked Gouda
- ½ Batch Pickled Red Onions
- 2 Cups Arugula
- Prepare the tri tip recipe of your choice, let rest for 15 minutes and slice thinly against the grain. ORRemove leftover tri tip from the refrigerator and slice thinly against the grain.
- Place all the ingredients in a small food processor and puree until smooth. Taste and adjust any ingredient, as needed. Set aside in the refrigerator.
BUILD THE SANDWICH:
- Pre-heat the oven to broil (high).
- (OPTIONAL)- Place two pieces of bread on a baking sheet and toast for 3-4 minutes, until your desired brownness is achieved. Remove the sheet from the oven.
- (Skip This Step If Using Freshly Made Tri Tip) Layer the cold tri tip slices on top of the bottom slice of bread. Broil for 3-5 minutes, until the meat is warm. Remove from the oven.
- Place the cheese, in a single layer, on top of the re-warmed tri tip. If using freshly made tri tip, put the cheese directly on the bottom slice of bread. Broil for 2-3 minutes, until soft. Remove from the oven.
- If you didn't have to re-heat the tri tip, in the previous step, add it now. Pile on the pickled red onions and arugula, to taste.
- Spread the aioli on the top piece of bread, to taste. Place the top bun on the bottom bun and enjoy!