Whip up a batch of Boom Boom Sauce in just 5 minutes! This popular Boom Boom Sauce recipe requires just 5 ingredients and makes the best dipping sauce for french fries
What is Boom Boom Sauce
Boom boom sauce is a mayonnaise based dipping sauce loaded up with sweet chili sauce, ketchup, Sriracha and garlic. It’s slightly sweet and slightly spicy, although you can work with the ingredients to make it as sweet or as spicy as you like.
Many restaurants, have their own version to serve as a french fry sauce; the two most popular being Sheetz boom boom sauce recipe and Ken’s boom boom sauce recipe.
While similar to bang bang sauce, they’re not exactly the same. Both are mayo based with chili sauce, however boom boom sauce includes ketchup and garlic, making it milder and tangier.
A bang bang sauce recipe usually uses honey vs. brown sugar so is slightly thicker. A nice switch up when making bang bang chicken or bang bang shrimp.
Boom Boom Recipe
The only ingredients you need to make this recipe: Mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Sriracha, garlic powder, brown sugar (optional), salt and pepper.
When making, be sure to utilize a high quality brand of mayonnaise as the flavor of the mayonnaise will greatly impact the final flavor.
Sweet Chili Sauce
Also referred to as Thai sweet chili sauce or Asian sweet chili sauce, sweet chili sauce tastes wildly different from brand to brand. Some brand are sweeter while some are spicier. If you’re using it for the first time, taste it to see what you’re working with.
Boom Boom sauce recipes can be as spicy or mild as you like. Compared to other Sriracha based sauces, this sauce is on the mild side; especially if you don’t make it in advance.
To keep mild, omit the Sriracha all together or start with a teaspoon and work your way up. You’ll get all the flavor without as much heat.
On the flip side, to spice it up, increase the amount of Sriracha sauce or spike it with some cayenne pepper.
So. Many. Things. While french fries are the most common use for boom boom sauce, it can go on almost anything. It would make a great sauce for grilled chicken or shrimp, and all of the below:
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Air Fried Frozen French Fries
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Onion Rings
- Ahi Tuna Poke Bowl
- Shrimp (Boom boom shrimp sauce)
- Chicken (Boom boom chicken sauce)
While this recipe is perfect as written, sometimes we like to mix it up a bit! Here are some variations we use from time to time, as the mood strikes.
- Use garlic chili sauce in place of the Sriracha. Both add heat to the dish but the chili sauce would increase the garlic level.
- Use 1 tsp of grated or finely minced garlic in place of the garlic powder.
- Vegan Boom Boom Sauce – just use vegan mayonnaise to make this a vegetarian and vegan dipping sauce.
- Start with the recipe, as written. Taste and adjust as needed.
- Try and make about 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- We don’t recommend freezing due to the mayonnaise.
Boom Boom Sauce
- Add all the ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine. Transfer to the refrigerator and let chill for 2 hours before using.