If you’re making a muffaletta sandwich, please do yourself a favor and make the muffaletta bread and Olive Salad from scratch. Sorry babes, it’s just not the real thing if you’re using random bread. Muffaletta bread is a round Italian style dense loaf approximately 10″ across with sesame seeds across the top. You’ll be hard pressed to find this outside of Louisiana so making your own, from scratch, is the next best thing. Don’t substitute. That would make your sandwich a poser.
Don’t be a poser.
- STARTER DOUGH:
- 1 Cup All Purpose or Bread Flour
- ½ Cup Water
- ⅛ tsp. Yeast
- All of the starter
- 3½ Cups All Purpose or Bread Flour
- 1 Cup Water
- 1.5 tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Yeast
- 1 Egg
- ¼ Cup Water
- Sesame Seeds (to Taste)
- Create the start by mixing all 3 ingredients and leaving at room temperature overnight.
- Once the starter is ready, add the dough ingredients to a stand mixer and mix until a cohesive dough is created. The dough will be rough, which is what you want.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 3 hours total. After the 1st hour, deflate the dough and turn over. Repeat at the 2 hour mark.
- After the dough has risen for 3 hours, turn it out onto a floured work area and shape to a 10" round.
- Transfer the dough to a greased baking sheet and let rise overnight, in the refrigerator.
- Once ready to bake, remove the dough from the refrigerator and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degree fahrenheit.
- Mix 1 egg with ¼ cup water and whisk until combined. Brush the egg mixture over the top of the bread and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let cool down before slicing.
NEVER MISS A FOODIE AND WINE RECIPE OR DRINK REVIEW: