Craving an Authentic Muffaletta Sandwich like you’ll find in New Orleans? You’ve come to the right spot. From homemade bread to homemade olive salad, this is just like the real thing.
The Muffaletta. No other sandwich, in the history of sandwiches, come close to the perfection that is The Muffaletta. Notice the capitalized “T” in the name. It deserves it. It’s earned it. The Muffaletta is more than just a sandwich. It’s a religion to folks in New Orleans and they don’t mince works when it comes to the do’s and don’t of their Muffaletta.
Use authentic Muffaletta Sandwich Bread. Don’t be the person who grabs lame french rolls at the grocery store. It’s a sin. Take the time to make your bread from scratch using our Muffaletta Sandwich Bread recipe. You’ll be happy you did.
Make your own olive salad. Does canned vegetables ever taste as good as fresh? Didn’t think so.
Use a combination of cured sausages, emulsified sausage and cured whole cuts. We usually use soprresa, salami, pepperoni, mortadella, coppa and capicola. There’s no set of rules as to what meats to use, so grab whatcha’ like. Just slice it thin and layer.
Rush the process. It’s best to make everything the day before so the bread has time to soak up the olive salad marinate and olive oil. Let the sandwich become “one”.
Add mustard. Well, you can. If you must. But the authentic sandwiches from The Big Easy aren’t muddled up with the overwhelming taste of mustard. Leave it for your Italian sandwich and tuna.
Be cheap. Invest in high quality ingredients like the olive oil, meat and cheeses. Each element is highlighted therefore an inferior product will sour the mood.
Muffaletta Sandwich with Homemade Bread and Olive Salad
- 1 Loaf of Muffaletta Bread
- 1 Batch of Olive Salad
- olive oil to Taste
- Combination of 3 Meats (see above for recommendations)
- Provolone and/or Mozzarella Cheese
- Cut the muffaletta bread in half and drizzle olive oil on both sides (to taste).
- Add (1) layer of meat to the bottom half followed by a layer of cheese. Repeat 2-3 times to your preferred thickness.
- Top with Olive Salad.
- Add the top layer of bread to the sandwich to complete.
- OPTIONAL: Wrap the sandwich in foil and let sit for up to 24 hours for the flavors to harmonize.