Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice is a simple, home cooked New Orleans staple that’s light on the wallet but heavy on flavor. Loaded with cajun seasonings and pork sausage you’ll be serving this red beans and rice recipe for years to come. This no-soak version is made in an hour using an Instant Pot.
Red Beans and Rice has been a staple creole recipe in most New Orleans homes for over 300 years. What’s not to love? It’s simple to make and inexpensive which is a necessity in many homes these days. Of course the traditional method, while easy, can be time consuming. Fortunately for us the Instant Pot makes this Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice recipe one you can make from start to finish in under an hour.
Laissez les bon temps rouler! Let the Good Times Roll! With Mardi Gras coming up, many of you will be hosting a party to celebrate. In addition to this Red Beans and Rice recipe, make sure you check out our other Mardi Gras Recipes: Muffaletta sandwich and Olive Salad recipe.
And to quote the genius that is Sir Mix-A-Lot, “Red Beans and Rice Didn’t Miss Her”…..hopefully this Red Beans and Rice recipe doesn’t miss a place on your menu plan.
Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
TIP- If you have extremely hard water or live at a high altitude, you may want to pre-soak your beans to ensure tender beans. It’s not necessary if neither of these items apply to you.
You can use water or beef/chicken/vegetable stock for this recipe.
Increase the cajun seasonings if you prefer your rice and beans to have a lot of heat. Or add some tabasco sauce or Louisiana Hot Sauce when served.
Red Beans and Rice should be stew-like and thick (hence the ugly photo!). I wanted to show you what true rice and beans look like when coming out of the Instant Pot. It’s not a pretty dish, but it’s mighty tasty. If you DO prefer a thinner consistency, just add an extra 1/2 cup before cooking.
Use andouille sausage if you can snag it at the grocery store. Our store carries Aidells Cajun Style Andouille that we love. Of course you can always omit the sausage and use hambone instead.
NEVER MISS A FOODIE AND WINE RECIPE OR DRINK REVIEW:
Red Beans and Rice (Instant Pot)
RED BEANS & RICE
- 1 tbsp Favorite Cooking Oil
- 1 lb Smoked Link Sausage (Recommend: Andouille)
- 1 Large Yellow Onion (Chopped)
- 1-2 tsp Creole Seasoning (To Taste)
- 4 cloves garlic (Minced)
- 2 stalks Celery (Chopped)
- 1 lb Dried Red Beans (Rinsed)
- 4 cup Water (or Beef/Chicken/Vegetable Stock)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Dried Sage
- Salt and Black Pepper (To Taste)
- Green Onions (To Taste)
- 2 cup Long Grain White Rice
- 4 cup Water
Red Beans and Sausage
- Slice the sausage into 1/4" thick rounds.
- Turn the Instant Pot on and click the sauté setting.
- Once hot (about 6-7 minutes), add the oil and turn to coat.
- Add the sausage and brown on both sides (about 5 minutes). Once browned, transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Do not remove the left over grease.
- Add the onions to the pot followed by the creole seasoning. Sauté until tender and translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the celery and garlic and stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the celery is tender.
- Add the beans and sausage and stir to combine.
- Add enough water to cover the bean mixture (approx. 4 cups).
- Add the bay leaves, thyme, oregano, parsley, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, sage and black pepper to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the pot with the valve in the sealed position.
- Press the "cancel" or "off" button and set it to "High Pressure" for 35 minutes.
- Naturally release once finished and check the beans for doneness. The beans should yield easily when pressure is applied. If they're still a bit firm for your liking, cook for another 2-3 minutes (NPR).
- Stir in the salt and extra creole seasoning to your preferred liking. Start with 1 tsp. of salt and go from there.
- Serve immediately over white rice and garnish with green onions and Tabasco sauce (optional).
- When the Instant Pot is releasing pressure, prepare the rice.
- In a non-stick saucepan, bring the water and the rice to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve the beans over the rice.
FOODIE AND WINE DRINK PAIRING RECOMMENDATIONS:
Beer- Brown Ale
Mixed Drink – Michelada