Craving pickles? Start making this quick pickled cucumbers recipe now and you’ll have crunchy pickles to nosh on in just one hour! Only 10 minutes of prep time required to learn how to pickle cucumbers. This really is the best pickling cucumber recipe. It’s flavorful, quick and easy to make.
You’ll always find jars of these quick pickled cucumbers, along with pickled onions, pickled peaches, pickled banana peppers and pickled peppers recipe, in my refrigerator. Pickled vegetables add so much depth and flavor to our favorite recipes. I love serving these as a side dish to our Korean Beef Bulgogi in addition to our Spicy Cucumber Salad. You can also add them to your favorite sandwiches or salads.
How To Make Pickled Cucumbers
If you’ve been wondering how to pickle cucumbers, you’ve come to the right place. Making them is a breeze. All you need is a few ingredients and 10 minutes. This doesn’t include the hour of marinating time, however. Here’s the easy steps:
Step 1. Slice the cucumbers as thin and evenly as possible. I recommend using a Mandoline for best results.
Step 2. Stuff as many sliced cucumbers as possible into a large jar, such as these glass mason jars (16 oz). Top with the crushed garlic.
Step 3. Add the vinegar, sugar, salt, water and red pepper flakes (if using) to a bowl and stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved.
Step 4. Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers and marinate for at least an hour to develop the best flavor.
Like sweet pickles? Increase the sugar by 1 tablespoon to add extra sweetness. We do recommend you taste the initial vinegar brine first to get a baseline flavor.
If you prefer spicy pickles, add extra red pepper flakes, to taste. I’ve been known to add a full tablespoon of red pepper flakes.
To make Korean Pickled Cucumbers, add in 1/2 Tablespoon of coarse ground gochugaru, 1 Tablespoon of sesame oil and a 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds to the vinegar brine.
What Are the Best Cucumbers For Pickling?
Kirby, Persian and green cucumbers tend to be best for pickling due to the thicker skin. The thicker skin allows the pickled cucumber to stay crunchy longer after it’s preserved. Try and snag fresh and firm cucumbers, no matter the variety you select.
These are the same varietals used in Korean Cucumber Salad.
How Long Do Pickled Cucumbers Last?
When property stored, in an airtight container, these cucumbers last up to two months in the refrigerator. Mine never make it past a week.
What Do You Do With Them Once Done?
In addition to snacking on them we add them as a side dish to most Asian Recipes. You can also add them to hamburgers, sandwiches or even salads. They’d even make a great garnish on our Mango Michelada or Classic Michelada.
- 1 Large Cucumber (*Note 1 & 2)
- ½ Cup Water
- ½ Cup Unseasoned Rice Vinegar (*Note 3)
- 1 Tbsp Sugar (*Note 4)
- 1.5 tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Peeled and Smashed
- Slice the cucumber as thin and evenly as possible. I recommend a mandoline to ensure consistency.
- Stuff as many cucumber slices into a jar as possible. I recommend a sealable glass mason jar (12 oz). Top with the garlic cloves.
- Add the water, vinegar, sugar, salt and red pepper flakes (If using) to a medium size bowl and stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Taste and adjust the salt and sugar to your liking.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers. They should all be covered by the liquid.
- Marinate for at least an hour before enjoying to maximize flavor.
- Store in an airtight container for up to two months. (*Note 5)
How To Preserve Cucumbers – Power Up Cook
Thursday 5th of May 2022
[…] the pickling process, the salt draws some of the water out of the cucumbers, and the concentrated sugar syrup […]