Mix it up this holiday by serving Smoked Deviled Eggs vs. traditional deviled eggs. Smoked hard boiled eggs are loaded with a creamy and tangy filling and garnished with fresh dill and paprika.
As with most deviled egg recipes, the ingredient list is short and sweet. Here are the mandatory ingredients – reference the recipe card below for the full list!
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Mustard (Yellow or Dijon Mustard recipe)
- White Vinegar
Smoked Hard Boiled Eggs
Everyone has a “favorite” way to hard boil eggs. Use whatever method you prefer – they all work beautifully. Some recipes call for putting raw eggs on the smoker itself, but we find it leads to dry eggs which take ages to make.
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs are quick and easy to make, plus they’re extremely easy to peel.
To make hard boiled eggs on the stove, you’ll boil the eggs for approximately 10 minutes before giving them an ice bath. Check the recipe card below for the full instructions to make hard boiled eggs on the stove.
Excluding the time it takes to cook the eggs, you’re looking at 30-60 minutes, start to finish. Including the time it takes to cook the eggs via the stovetop method, you’re looking at 45-75 minutes.
As mentioned, this recipe is highly customizable so adjust to your personal preference. Here are some add-in ideas to get you thinking:
- Pickled Peppers
- Pickled Red Onions
- Pickled Mustard Seeds
- Fresh Dill
- Pickled Asparagus Garnish
- Crab Meat (Baked Crab Legs)
- Tabasco Sauce
Egg whites take on a ton of smoke, so keep the wood choice to a mild wood like apple, cherry or maple.
Energy Source – Charcoal, pellets, propane, etc.
Smoking Wood – Chunks, chips or pellets.
Smoker Box – You’ll need one to impart the delicious smoky flavor if using a gas grill. We’ve used this one from Amazon in the past.
Deviled Eggs With Miracle Whip – Swap in equal part miracle whip for the mayonnaise.
Million Dollar Deviled Eggs – To make, just bake up some crispy bacon and crumble it over the top right before serving.
- Make the hard boiled eggs up to 3 days before constructing.
- Purchase the eggs a full week before you’ll be making them as it makes them easier to peel.
How Long Are Deviled Eggs Good For
Smoked deviled eggs are good in the refrigerator for 2-3 days after making, however the quality starts to decline rather quickly.
Easter Deviled Eggs
This Easter appetizer recipe is a great way to kick off your Easter menu. It’s the perfect precursor to these popular Easter Dinner recipes:
5 Star Deviled Egg Recipe
- 6 Large eggs
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1½ Tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- ⅕ tsp salt
- Garnish Ideas: paprika, dill leaves, or chives
Hard Boil The Eggs
- Bring a large saucepan filled with water to a gentle boil. Use a thumb tack to poke a hole in the bottom of each egg before placing them in the boiling water. Boil for 11 minutes.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water. Transfer the cooked eggs to the bowl once they're finished cooking. Let sit for 10 minutes before peeling.
Smoke The Eggs
- Pre-heat the smoker to 175°F and load with your wood or pellet of choice.
- Place the peeled eggs directly on the grill and smoke for 30-60 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the grill and cut in half lenghtwise. Gently remove the egg yolks and add to a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, relish, mustard, and salt and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Use a spoon or piping bag to fill each egg white with the yolk mixture.
- Garnish with a dusting of paprika and fresh dill weed. Serve immediately for best texture and flavor.