This Easy Chicken Fajitas Recipe is loaded with juicy chicken breasts, crisp bell peppers and sweet onions and tossed in a dynamite fajita seasoning mixture. Tuck inside a homemade flour tortilla and load up with 4 ingredient guacamole and salsa for a quick and easy weekday meal. Prefer steak? We have an Easy Steak Fajitas recipe for you as well!
Chicken Fajitas Recipe
Our easy chicken fajitas recipe is a staple recipe round this parts. It’s quick, inexpensive and adaptable to dietary needs as it’s naturally gluten-free and Paleo friendly. We, of course, load our Mexican chicken fajitas up with all the fixin’s but you can make them low carb by serving them as Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps.
Our favorite Chicken Fajita Toppings consist of guacamole, Homemade Salsa, pico de gallo, mango pico de gallo, sour cream, cheese. We even top them with pickled peppers, pickled banana peppers or pickled red onions when we have them on hand. We also serve these along side Instant Pot Refried Beans, Slow Cooker Refried Beans, Instant Pot Kidney Beans or Instant Pot Pinto Beans.
On our “Wish List” is a Cast Iron Fajita Pan, like you see in Mexican restaurants, but for now we use a high-end cast iron pan.
Chicken Fajitas Recipe Cooking Tips
- Chicken Fajitas Marinade – If you have time to marinade the chicken just add a 1/4 cup of olive oil and 2 Tbsp. of fresh lime juice to the fajita seasoning recipe below. Marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes, up to 24 hours.
- You can use chicken breasts or thighs for this recipe, depending on your preference or what you have in the refrigerator. The cooking time will just elongate slightly with the thighs.
- The Homemade Seasoning for Chicken Fajitas is simple and much better than the store bough versions, which are loaded with additives.
- Prefer Shredded Chicken Fajitas? Just shred the chicken, once cooked, with two forks before loading up the tortillas. No additional steps required.
- Try and use a large cast iron skillet for this recipe vs a non-stick. You won’t get the nice sear and edges if you use a non stick pan. But it won’t be the end of the world.
- If you like easy chicken dinner recipes, checkout out Shake and Bake Chicken and Instant Pot Chicken Adobo.
DRINK PAIRINGS FOR CHICKEN FAJITA RECIPES:
Cocktails- Homemade Margaritas or Michelada
Beer- Dos Equis Ambar, Negra Modelo, Corona or a Citrus Pale Ale.
Wine- Crips and light Sauvignon Blanc or Albarino.
MORE DELICIOUS MEXICAN RECIPES:
- San Diego Style Carne Asada
- Carne Asada Tacos
- Carne Asada Nachos
- Carne Asada Fries
- Pollo Asado Tacos with Grilled Pollo Asado
- Easy Steak Tacos
- Slow Cooker Refried Beans
- Chili Verde Recipe (Chicken or Pork)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
- Slow Cooker Carnitas
- 1.5 Lbs Chicken Breasts (Skinless and Boneless)
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- ½ Tbsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Ground Cumin
- ⅛ tsp Cayenne Pepper (Optional)
- ½ tsp Salt
- 3 Large Bell Peppers (Cut into 1/4" Strips)
- 1 Large Yellow Onion (Cut into 1/4" Strips)
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil (Divided)
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Medium Lime
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of parchment or wax paper. Use a meat mallet to pound the breasts to an even 1/2" thickness.
- In a large bowl, add the chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt and stir to combine. Add the chicken breasts and toss to coat evenly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the peppers and onions and toss with 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil. Add the chili powder and salt and toss again until evenly coated.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp. of vegetable oil to a 12" cast iron skillet and pre-heat over high heat. When hot, add the onions and peppers and sauté until softened and slightly charred (approx. 4-5 min). Transfer the onions and peppers to a large plate and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium-high and add 1/2 Tbsp. of vegetable oil to the skillet. Sear the chicken for about 8 minutes on each side, until cooked thoroughly(depends on the thickness of your breasts). Chicken should no longer be pink inside and will have a nice char on the outside.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. While resting, place the peppers and onions back into the pan to re-heat for about 1 minute.
- Slice the chicken into strips and serve alongside the peppers and onions. Add your desired toppings and enjoy immediately.