It’s Friday which means it’s Virtual Happy Hour here at FoodieandWine.com. Today we’re bringing to you one of the classics….a lime margarita and homemade mix! (View past Virtual Happy Hour Drinks).
Sure summer is winding down, but we believe margarita’s should be enjoyed year round. Even in 60 degree weather, a strawberry margarita is delish! Yes, us Southern California peeps are spoiled with awesome year round weather but we’d like to think if we lived in the cold North East we’d crank up the heat, crank up the blender and get the party started!
The problem is we hate the flavor ready-made mix you buy off the shelf. It takes fake and really doesn’t replicate the tangy, sweet and sour flavor of real lime juice. The solution? We make huge batches of our Margarita Mix recipe when lime’s are cheap and freeze it until we need it. You never know when a margarita itch will come on, so we like to be prepared.
How much do we love margarita’s? This Margaritaville Key West Frozen Concoction Maker is one of our favorite things to use in the kitchen! This is an awesome gift idea for the frozen margarita lover in your life! It’s absolutely worth the investment since we use it for our Shakeology Shakes and as a coffee bean grinder. We don’t like clutter in the kitchen so we buy items that serve multiple functions when we can.
After toying around with the proportions, here is our favorite Mix recipe along with our favorite classic margarita recipe. Enjoy year round.
- Margarita Mix:
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- Juice of 8-10 Limes
- Lime Margarita
- 1 Batch of Margarita Mix
- 6 oz High Quality Tequila we prefer silver
- 4 oz Triple Sec
- Lime Wedges - Optional Garnish
- Make the simple syrup by heating the water and sugar over medium heat in a medium size saucepan until the sugar is dissolved and the liquid is clear.
- Let sit for 30 minutes to cool.
- Add the lime juice and stir until fully combined.
- Use immediately or transfer to a refrigerator safe pitcher.
- To make the margaritas: Add the margarita mix, tequila and triple sec to a cocktail glass filled with ice. Gently stir with a spoon to combine. Top it off with a lime wedge and enjoy!
Have a favorite margarita flavor? Share it with us below!