Introducing the crisp Mexican Mule – a Mexican twist on the classic Moscow Mule. Tequila is swapped in for the vodka to create a bubbly, slightly spicy and vibrant Mexican Mule recipe. This tequila mule has only 3 ingredients: high-end tequila, ginger beer and lime juice.
What Is A Mexican Mule
A Mexican Mule is basically a Moscow mule with tequila instead of vodka. Tequila Moscow Mules are a bit more flavorful that the original, thanks to the addition of tequila vs vodka, which has a very neutral flavor. The simple and refreshing nature of the cocktail makes it a great summertime cocktail recipe.
Tequila Mule Ingredients
Only a few simple ingredients are required to make this tequila mule recipe. It’s an easy alternative to the classic Margarita.
- Tequila – You can’t have a Mexican themed cocktail recipe without tequila! As stated above, you need a high quality tequila. Our go-to for Mexican Mules is Lobos 1707 Joven Tequila.
- Ginger Beer – Try the different brands to see which one you like best!
- Lime Juice – Skip the bottled lime juice and go straight to the produce aisle. Fresh lime juice makes a huge difference to the final flavor.
Ginger Beer Options
There are many brands of ginger beer to choose from, and all are wildly different from each other. Here are our favorite three brands of ginger beer, as well as their flavor profile:
- Bundaberg- This is our favorite option, and is readily available at Costco. It’s the perfect balance of carbonation, sweet and spicy (from the ginger).
- Fever-Tree- Fabulous carbonation and sweetness, but lighter on the ginger flavor vs. other brands.
- Q Ginger Beer- High on life this one! Think high bubbles, high heat and high sweetness. Much “bolder” than other brands.
When To Serve A Mexican Moscow Mule
There’s really no bad time to serve a Mexican Mule.
- Cinco de Mayo party!
- Beach or Pool Parties
- Birthday Bashes
- Christmas Parties
- Baby Showers
- Bachelorette Party
- Sunday Brunch
- Graduation Party
- The Mexican mule is typically served in Copper Mugs or a highball glass, but use whatcha got! We adore our copper mugs, so it’s a nice splurge if you can swing it.
- Scale up and make a “party punch”. Add the tequila and lime juice to a large pitcher and stir. When ready to serve, add the ginger beer. As ginger beer is carbonated, and will go flat, don’t add it too far in advance. Right before serving is best.
- Tequila mule garnish ideas: jalapeno slices, lime wheel, fresh mint.
- Do not replace the ginger beer with ginger ale. They are two different beverages.
- Chill the ginger beer prior to using to ensure an icy cold beverage.
Here’s how to mix up this Mexican Mule drink, if you’re looking for an extra bump of flavor.
- Christmas Theme – Add in a bit of cranberry simple syrup and top it with fresh cranberries for a festive twist.
- Spicy Mexican Mule – muddle some jalapeños in the bottom of the mug, before adding the ice, to add some heat.
More Drink Recipes
- 2 oz Tequila
- .5 oz Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
- 3-4 oz Ginger Beer
- Garnish: Lime Wedge or Jalapeno Wheel
- Fill a copper mug, or highball glass, 3/4 of the way with ice.
- Add the tequila and lime juice and gently stir to combine.
- Top with ginger beer, garnish and enjoy immediately.