These are the World’s Best Buttery Herbed Smashed Potatoes. Smashed red potatoes are loaded with butter, parmesan cheese, garlic and thyme. These babies are the perfect addition to your next meal.
These easy smashed potatoes will quickly become a family favorite. From the quick and easy preparation to the crispy buttery finish, you’ll be adding these to your menu plan weekly.
While these can be made with a variety of different potatoes, we prefer the red potato. You’ll be left with a nice crispy exterior and a soft center. Feel free to substitute in Baby Yukon or Dutch Yellow Baby potatoes if that’s what you have on hand. You could also swap out the thyme for rosemary if you prefer that herb over thyme.
Garlic Butter in All Its Glory.
Other Potato Recipes:
Now get out your holiday menu plan and add this Smashed Potatoes Recipe to the list.
Garlic and Thyme Smashed Potatoes
- 2 Lb. Small Red Potatoes (see above for alt recommendations)
- 3 Tbs. Melted Butter or Ghee
- 3 Cloves Garlic (Pressed)
- 1 Tbs. Dried Thyme (or: Rosemary, Parsley)
- 2 Tbs. Parmesan Cheese (Shredded)
- Kosher Salt (to Taste)
- Black Pepper (to Taste)
- OPTIONAL: red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly grease a large baking sheet with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook potatoes until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes; drain well.
- Transfer potatoes to the prepared baking sheet. Using a large fork or potato masher, gently flatten the potatoes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter, garlic and dried thyme. Gently spoon the butter mixture over each potato. Sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper (and red pepper flakes if desired).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Return to the oven for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.