Just say “no” to undercooked potatoes, lackluster eggs, and stingy sausage portions. After ordering countless unimpressive breakfast skillets over the years, I decided to take matters into my own hands.
I no longer order breakfast skillets when dining out, because I know it won’t live up to this Sausage and Egg Breakfast Skillet recipe.
Breakfast skillet recipes are plentiful for a reason. They’re easy to adapt to your taste preference (or whatever you have left in your fridge), filling and can feed a large family with the use of just 1 pan!
This is how my family rolls when it comes to Breakfast Skillets.
TIP- Make it a Paleo Recipe by replacing the white potatoes with sweet potatoes.
Sausage and Egg Breakfast Skillet
- 2 Yukon Gold or Red Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Yellow Onion
- 1/2 cup Bell Pepper
- 1/2 cup Crumbled Breakfast Sausage
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/8 tsp Ground Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt to Taste
- Black Pepper
- olive oil
- Pre-heat a skillet or cast iron skillet to medium.
- While the skillet is pre-heating. Cube the potatoes and microwave in a covered bowl for 2 minutes to speed the cooking process.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and add the cooked potatoes, onions and bell pepper. Stir frequently for 4-5 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Add the thyme and red pepper flakes to taste and stir to combine.
- Add the breakfast sausage and cook until no longer pink. Make sure the sausage is fully combined with the potato mixture.
- Carve out 2 holes, grease with extra olive oil and crack the eggs directly onto the hot skillet. The eggs will take about 5-7 minutes to fully set. If you prefer you can place the pan in a 350 degree oven for 5 additional minutes to help set the tops of the eggs.
- Once the eggs have set, divide the mixture onto 2 places and enjoy immediately.
- Add additional salt and pepper, to taste.