Spicy Orange Grilled Chicken Wings featuring true orange flavor, not from a jar of marmalade, and asian spices.
Grilled chicken wings are our go-to when hosting a spring or summer barbecue. They’re easy to make, inexpensive and always a hit. We change up the chicken wings recipe from party to party to keep guests on their toes. If we’re not making these Spicy Orange Grilled Chicken Wings we’re making these Spicy Asian Oven Baked Chicken Wings.
Grilled chicken wings usually win out over baked chicken wings for several reasons. One of which is the burnt taste and texture you can achieve on the grill. Another is the smoke factor. Let’s just say when we bake chicken wings the fire alarms start to buzz and the kitchen reeks for hours. Fat may taste good, but man it’s smokey when it’s heated.
Grilled Chicken Wings Notes:
If you’re looking for extra crispy wings, where the majority of fat is rendered out, either grill for 7-8 minutes extra per side, or consider baking them using the instructions in our Spicy Asian Oven Baked Chicken Wings recipe. We prefer keeping the wings a little fatty vs eating small wings with no meat.
The sauce can be made the day before and refrigerated until your ready to grill.
The sauce is loaded with all our favorite Chinese Orange Chicken Sauce flavors, but if you’re missing one thing or the other, no worries. The sauce will still give you the kick you’re looking for.
If you like spice, make sure to use two full tablespoons of the garlic chili sauce. We like it spicy so we kick it up to three.
FOODIE AND WINE DRINK PAIRING RECOMMENDATIONS
White Wines: St. Michelle Riesling
Spicy Orange Grilled Chicken Wings
- 2 lb Chicken Wings
- 1 tbsp Oil Your Choice
- Cayenne Pepper to Taste
- Salt to Taste
- Orange Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice
- 1 tsp Orange Zest
- 1-2 tbsp Rooster brand Huy Fong Garlic Chili Sauce
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Minced Ginger
- 1/8 tsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tsp Tapioca Powder or Corn Starch
- 1/2 tbsp Water
- Prepare the sauce by adding the orange juice, orange zest, garlic chili sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger and sesame oil in a large sauce pan.
- Add the tapioca power (or corn starch) to the 1/2 Tbs. water and combine until dissolved. Slowly stir the mixture into the orange sauce and combine. Head over medium high heat on the stove until thickened and slightly boiling. Set aside.
- Pre-heat the grill to 450 degrees.
- Pat the chicken wings dry and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil, salt and cayenne pepper and toss until evenly coated.
- Transfer to the hot, greased grill and close the lid. Let grill for 12-15 minutes and flip. Let grill for another 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and toss with the orange sauce.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.
- Enjoy immediately