Learn how to make salmon in the Instant Pot. A quick and easy instant pot salmon recipe you can cook in just 5 minutes. Think flakey and tender salmon coated in a garlic butter sauce. It’s as quick as it is to make Salmon Crudo.
Much like our Garlic Butter Mushrooms, Sous Vide Asparagus and Garlic Mashed Potatoes this Garlic Butter Salmon Recipe is loaded with garlic, butter and flavor.
This is a great salmon recipe to make in the oven in addition to the instant pot so we’ve included directions for this cooking method as well.
We decided to round everything up into a foil pouch to make clean up a breeze and concentrate the flavors on the asparagus. It’s not necessary however, if you prefer to keep foil out of your kitchen. If you’re not using a foil pouch just use the metal trivet that comes with your Instant Pot and stack the ingredients or utilize a shallow small casserole bowl with the top on for the oven baked version.
If you’re into Seafood recipes, make sure to check out our Temaki Sushi with Salmon, Clam Chowder, Baked Lobster Tails, Steamer Clams with Garlic and Ahi Tuna Poke.
INSTANT POT SALMON
Love spice? Use the red pepper flakes like there’s no tomorrow. Shake, shake, shake. Or use cajun sauce as the marinade.
We’re not fans of honey (we’re weird like that!) but if you are a fan, feel free to drizzle a baby bit over each piece of salmon before you cook it.
We prefer small thin pieces of asparagus therefore have not tried this with the super thick stalks. If you use thick stalks, let us know how it goes!
Dry the asparagus after washing. I mean, who wants watered down butter sauce? Hard pass.
Check the thickness of your fish. This recipe was tested on a slice from the midsection, therefore was about 1″ tall. If you have a skinner cut of fish, like 1/2″ tall, you may need to decrease the cook time to 3 minutes. You can always stick it in for an extra minute cook time if it’s not quite to your liking.
Using frozen salmon in this Instant Pot salmon recipe? While we haven’t made this using frozen filets, from the research we’ve done, it looks like you’d need to cook this for an extra minute or so (approx. 5 minutes). It will dilute the butter sauce however, so you may want to add an extra bit to the top of the fish before serving.
Mix it up by making a BBQ version. Just rub some olive oil and BBQ Rub on the salmon and cook per the below instructions.
Weight Watchers – this recipe is just 5 points per serving!
- 1 lb Salmon Filet (cut into 3 equal pieces for Instant Pot)
- 1 lb Asparagus (small- medium stalks)
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- 3 tbsp Butter (divided into 3 pats for Instant Pot)
- 1.5 tbsp garlic (minced)
- Salt to taste
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Honey (optional)
INSTANT POT DIRECTIONS:
- Tear off 3 large pieces of foil and lay side to side on a flat surface. Slightly curve up the edges so the lemon juice doesn't "roll off" the sides.
- Divide the asparagus equally between the three foil packets.
- Slater each piece of salmon with 1/2 tablespoon of garlic and place directly on top of the asparagus.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice over the salmon (repeat for each salmon piece).
- Sprinkle salt to taste on top of the salmon.
- OPTIONAL- sprinkle each piece with red pepper flakes and/or drizzle with honey.
- Place one tablespoon of butter on top of the salmon (repeat for each salmon piece).
- Tightly close up each piece of foil to ensure no steam can escape.
- Add 1.5 cups of water to the bottom of the Instant Pot and insert the metal trivet that came with the machine.
- Place the 3 foil packets on top of the trivet (they can be stacked).
- Close the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is set to sealed.
- Click the "steam" button and set for 4 minutes.
- Once the time goes off, hit cancel and QR.
- Using tongs, remove the foil packets and carefully open to release the steam and stop cooking.
- Transfer the entire contents of the packets (including the butter sauce) to a plate.
- Enjoy immediately.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with a large piece of foil. Slightly curve up the edges so the garlic butter mixture doesn't "roll off" the sides.
- Place the asparagus and salmon side by side in the middle of the foil.
- Place the butter in a small bowl and microwave to melt.
- Add the lemon juice, garlic and salt to the melted butter and stir to combine.
- OPTIONAL- Add the red pepper flakes and honey and stir to combine.
- Pour the butter mixture oven the salmon and asparagus.
- Tightly close the foil to ensure no steam can escape.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully open the foil package to release the steam and stop cooking.
- Enjoy immediately.
Saturday 22nd of August 2020
In my instant pot, I cooked fresh salmon for 4 min - it was RAW inside. Ruined dinner.
Wednesday 22nd of July 2020
Made it twice now. This time I steamed it for 6 minutes instead of 4 and the butter still hadn't melted. Threw it back in on manual for 4 minutes. I haven't tasted it yet because it's for lunch tomorrow, but I'll probably just use "manual high" from now on when I make this. At least the butter was melted. That being said, even after microwaving it to get it to finish being cooked the first time I made it, it was still very tasty.
Monday 7th of October 2019
Should the instant pot be set to “less”, “normal”, or “more”? I did 4 minutes on normal and the salmon was not cooked..
Sunday 22nd of September 2019
Made this tonight. Used frozen salmon and needed 10 minutes on the Instant Pot steam setting for it to be fully cooked through. Used asparagus and our favorite salmon seasoning instead of the lemon and garlic. It was FABULOUS!!!
Sunday 1st of September 2019
Just made this recipe with frozen salmon. Ended up needing to cook for 12 minutes!