Make this easy Sushi Bake recipe, a.k.a sushi casserole, for your next party or meal. No rolling required and it’s ready to rock in less than 30 minutes.
Use Kani to make it a deconstructed California roll or swap in salmon to make a salmon sushi baked recipe.
Similar Seafood Recipes to check out: Kani Salad, Temaki Sushi, Tuna Roll and Crunchy Spicy Tuna Rolls.
As with typical casseroles, a sushi bake casserole is highly customizable and is easy to throw together for family and friends.
Layers of sushi rice, Kani, and seasonings are baked together to create a warm and creamy dish to serve alongside roasted seaweed and/or your favorite sushi toppings.
Crab Sushi Bake
As mentioned, the most popular version is made with Kani, which is a “imitation crab”. You can certainly sub in canned crab meat or real crab meat if fake crab isn’t your thing. Make a batch of baked crab legs and use the meat here.
Here are the “must-have” ingredients to make baked sushi. The full list of ingredients is listed in the recipe card below.
- Sushi Rice
- Kani (What is Kani)
- Mayo – (Regular mayo or Kewpie mayo)
- Cream Cheese
- Furikake or Shichimi Togarashi
Optional Topping Ideas
- Cucumber Slices
- Avocado Slices
- Sesame Seeds
This baked sushi recipe can stand on its own, no extra sauce needed. But, who doesn’t love some sauce?
- Soy Sauce
- Eel Sauce
- Ponzu Sauce
- Masago Sauce
- Spicy Mayo (Mayo + Sriracha, to taste)
How to Make Sushi Bake
It’s all about layering, once you have a batch of sushi rice prepared. The rice goes down first followed by a sprinkle of your selected seasoning. Spread the Kani mix on the rice followed byPanko and one last sprinkle of seasoning and then bake. That’s it!
There are no limits as to how you grub down on sushi bake. From digging in directly with a fork to eating with cucumber slices, there’s no wrong way.
The best way to eat, in our opinion, is to serve with roasted seaweed squares. You’re essentially creating a little sushi taco!
These individual sized seaweed squares are sold everywhere and allow for the perfect bit. Look for them in the International aisle of your grocery store or online.
Salmon Sushi Baked Recipe
To make a salmon sushi bake recipe, just swap out the Kani with 1 pound of cooked and flaked salmon.
Drizzle it with Sriracha or spicy mayo after baking, or add a tablespoon or Sriracha to the cream cheese mixture.
Replace the Kani with your favorite veggie or tofu. Diced cucumbers or matchstick carrots would work well.
- Sushi bake is best consumed the same day as prepared, however, it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- To cut down on prep time, you can make the sushi rice a day in advance and refrigerate until you’re ready to make.
- We use a 9×13 baking dish, as we prefer a minimal rice layer, but you can use a 8×8 baking dish for a thicker rice layer.
- The Panko layer isn’t required but it adds a ton of crunch to the dish.
- Read up on the difference between Sushi vs. Sashimi.
Ahi Tuna Poke Bowl
Baked Sushi Recipe
- ½ Batch sushi rice (*Note 1)
- 8 oz imitation crab, chopped (*Note 2)
- ½ cup cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup Panko (*Note 3)
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 2-4 Tbsp furikake or shichimi togarashi (*Note 4)
OPTIONAL FOR SERVING
- dried nori sheets
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
Sushi Rice (Stovetop or Rice Cooker):
- Make a batch of sushi rice before proceeding to the next step.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, mix the crab, cream cheese, mayo and green onions until smooth. Set aside.8 oz imitation crab, chopped½ cup cream cheese, softened½ cup mayonnaise¼ cup sliced green onions
- Evenly press 3 cups of sushi rice to the bottom of a casserole dish (*Note 5) and top with half of the furikake or shichimi togarashi.½ Batch sushi rice
- Evenly spread the crab mix onto the rice and sprinkle with the Panko and remaining furikake or shichimi togarashi2-4 Tbsp furikake or shichimi togarashi½ cup Panko
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until warmed through out.
- Serve with avocado, cucumber slices and seaweed sheets.dried nori sheets1 cucumber, thinly sliced1 avocado, thinly sliced