Crispy baked chicken breasts coated in homemade shake and bake for chicken (or pork!). This copycat shake and bake chicken recipe produces extra crunchy, juicy chicken in just 30 minutes. Throw some green beans, or your favorite veggie, onto the same baking sheet for a complete one-sheet meal. Or, throw your shake and bake chicken breast between two slices of bread and make a crispy chicken sandwich.
If you’re looking for more easy chicken dinner recipes, like this shake n bake chicken (or shake n bake pork chops), here are some reader favorites: Milanesa de Pollo, Empress Chicken, Air Fryer Cornish Hen, Instant Pot Chicken Adobo, Skillet Chicken Fajitas, Chili Verde and Olive Garden’s Chicken Gnocchi Soup.
Shake and Bake Seasonings
Kraft Shake and Bake is absolutely delish, but contains some not-so-delish ingredients (High fructose corn syrup we’re looking at you). This chicken shake and bake recipe contains just the good stuff. Most Shake and Bake ingredients you probably already have on-hand, making this a quick, easy and affordable weekday dinner idea.
Shake and Bake Chicken seasonings include: Panko or breadcrumbs, celery salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, dried thyme and black pepper.
Panko vs Breadcrumbs
Of the two, Panko is the best option as it doesn’t soak up oil as much as breadcrumbs, so it creates a crispier crust. Both are winners, however. We usually grab whatever is already in our pantry or on sale.
How To Make Shake and Bake Chicken
Step 1 – Shake.
Step 2 – Bake.
Step 3 – Grub down Ricky Bobby style!
It’s really that easy. Just mix the seasonings in a Ziploc bag. Drop in the chicken and shake and bake. After 30 minutes (give or take) you’ll get your Shake n Bake Talladega Nights-on!
Shake and Bake Chicken
This Shake n Bake recipe can be used with a variety of different meats and cuts. Here are a few of our favorites:
Shake and Bake Chicken Thighs (Boneless)
To make homemade Shake and Bake chicken thighs, Cook in a 400-degree oven for 25-30 minutes, until meat thermometer registers 165-degrees. Tip- cooking your thighs to 185 will break down the collagen leading to a more tender bite.
Shake and Bake Chicken Breasts (Bone-in)
Bone-in chicken is the best way to go if you’re looking to save money. Oftentimes you can find it for only $1 per pound! Cook in a 400-degree oven for 45-50 minutes, until an instant read thermometer registers 165 degrees F. If the crust starts to get too dark, just cover with a sheet of foil.
Shake and Bake Chicken Tenders
While boneless skinless chicken breasts are our favorite, chicken tenders will also work. In fact, you’ll get more crunchy chicken coating per bite by using tenders. Cook in a 400 degree oven for 15-18 minutes, until a meat thermometer registers 165 degrees F. The bigger the tender, the longer it will take to cook.
Air Fryer Shake and Bake Chicken
To make shake and bake chicken in the Air Fryer, pre-heat your air fryer to 380 degrees F. Bake for 10 minutes, before flipping the chicken and baking for an extra 5-6 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Shake and Bake Pork
To make shake and bake pork chops, cook in a 425 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes, until a meat thermometer registers 145 degrees F. If using thin pork chops, shave off a few minutes.
How to Make Shake and Bake Chicken Better
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when making this shake n bake chicken recipe. Following these tips will produce SUPER CRISPY shake and bake oven fried chicken!
- Pat dry the boneless skinless chicken breasts with paper towels. The drier the meat, the more the coating mix (either bread crumbs or Panko) will stick.
- As detailed above, opt for Panko vs breadcrumbs.
- Forgo the usual baking sheet and bake the coated chicken breasts on a cooling rack set atop a rimmed baking sheet. Going this route means less juice will collect under the chicken, creating a soggy crust. Will a baking sheet with parchment paper still work? Absolutely. Go for it if that’s what you prefer!
- Serve immediately! The longer crispy baked chicken rests, the more time the coating has to absorb air and soften.
- If you’re into spicy chicken, add in 1/2-1 teaspoons or chili powder or cayenne pepper to the seasoning mix for an extra kick.
How Do You Make Shake and Bake Crispy
It’s all about the oil. Extra crispy shake and bake chicken uses oil to get crispy. Butter, mayo, egg wash and water don’t provide the same crunch factor.
How Do You Get Shake and Bake To Stick To Chicken
Most “breading” style recipes utilize an egg wash to get the breading to stick, but it’s super messy and it’s not that successful. Using avocado oil (or Canola oil) will not only make the breading stick, but really crisp up the coating on the boneless chicken or boneless pork chops.
One-Sheet Pan Dinner
Sheet Pan Chicken and Green Beans
Green beans are our go-to vegetable. They’re easy to prep and quick to cook. Just cut off the rough ends (optional), toss in a 1/2 tablespoon of avocado oil and add to the cooking sheet in a single layer, 15 minutes before the chicken is done. Add any salt, pepper or seasonings you prefer before baking. You could even reserve 1 tablespoon of shake and bake mix to sprinkle over the beans. Just make sure you set it aside before using on the chicken.
Sheet Pan Chicken and Asparagus
Cut off the rough ends, toss in a 1/2 tablespoon of avocado oil and add to the cooking sheet in a single layer, 25 minutes before the chicken is done. Add any salt, pepper or seasonings you prefer before baking. You could even reserve 1 tablespoon of shake and bake mix to sprinkle over the asparagus. Just make sure to set it aside before using on the chicken. You could also serve Sous Vide Asparagus with it instead.
Sheet Pan Chicken and Zucchini
Cut the zucchini into quarters and toss in a 1/2 tablespoon of avocado oil and add to the cooking sheet in a single layer, 12-15 minutes before the chicken is done. Add any salt, pepper or seasonings you prefer before baking. You could even reserve 1 tablespoon of shake and bake mix to sprinkle over the zucchini. Just make sure you set it aside before using on the chicken.
What To Serve With Oven Baked Chicken
I’d love to hear from you! Please leave a recipe rating, snap a pic and use the hashtag #foodieandwine, after you’ve made the recipe, and post to social media!
Crispy Shake and Bake Chicken + 3 Sheet Pan Dinner Ideas!
- 4 Chicken Breast or Thighs (*Note 1)
- 2 tbsp Olive or Avocado Oil (*Note 2)
- 1½ Cups Panko or Breadcrumbs (*Note 3)
- 2 tsp Celery Salt
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Lb Green Beans, Asparagus or Zucchini
- 1/2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- Salt and Black Pepper, To Taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. OPTIONAL: Set a cooling rack, sprayed with cooking spray, on top of the baking sheet.
- Add the Panko/bread crumbs, celery salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, dried thyme and ground black pepper to a large Ziploc bag. Seal the bag and gently shake to combine. Set aside.
- Coat the chicken breasts with avocado oil, evenly on all sides. Place one breast in the Ziploc bag and shake gently to coat before placing on the baking sheet (or cooling rack- if using). Repeat until all 4 breasts and coated and on the baking sheet.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F. Add the green beans/asparagus/zucchini based on the chart listed in the post or Note 4 below.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.