This Asparagus Soup with Bacon and Parmesan Cheese Recipe is amazingly complex for the simplicity of the ingredients. I can easily add this soup recipe to my weekly menu plan and not get tired of eating it. Well that and our Sous Vide Asparagus.
If you’ve never made Asparagus Soup, and are looking to try one out, this is the one to try. In fact, let’s make a pros and cons list about my Asparagus Soup with Bacon and Parmesan. First, before I get hate mail for tagging this as vegetarian, this soup CAN be adapted for vegetarians. Just omit the bacon and use vegetable broth.
Now back to my very important list…..
Tons of healthy greens
No heavy cream
Just a touch of not-so-healthy bacon
Just a touch of so-so-healthy parmesan cheese
Easily adaptable for vegetarians
Only 4 slices of bacon total (not per bowl)
Only 1/4 cup of cheese total (again, not per bowl)
No heavy cream (you won’t miss it)!
Not a kid-friendly color
After looking at the Cons list, it’s clear you can do something about the first two items. Just add in more bacon and cheese! Done. No cream? Have no fear, you won’t even miss it. The last one, well, I can’t really fix other than recommend you do a “eat in the dark” night. One spoonful and you’ll convert them.
If you’re still reading this than I did my job! I successfully sold you on making this soup! Too bad this girl is self employed or else I’d ask for a raise!
This recipe makes 4 bowls, but I double it to have more the next day.
I highly recommend using an immersion blender if you have one. This Cuisinart Immersion Blender is the one I own and love.
TIP- to make this a 21 Day Fix Recipe, just replace the butter with coconut oil and use turkey bacon in place of traditional bacon.
View More Soup Recipes:
- 2 lb Asparagus
- 4 tbsp Butter Unsalted
- 2 cup Diced Yellow Onions = about 2 medium onions
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 6 cup Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Ground Thyme
- 1 tsp Salt + More To Taste
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper + To Taste
- 4 Bacon Slices
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 4 tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- Cut off the tips of the asparagus spears and chop the stalk into 1/2" pieces. Keep the tips to use in another recipe or to dress up the bowl when serving.
- Add the butter to a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Remove the peel from the garlic cloves and smash with a heavy knife. Add the smashed garlic to the pot along with the chopped onions. Cook for about 7-8 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add the chopped asparagus, chicken broth, chili powder, ground thyme, bacon slices, salt and black pepper to the pot and bring to a rapid boil. Cover the pot, turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 30 minutes until all the vegetables are soft and tender.
- Use an immersion blender or blender to puree until completely smooth.
- OPTIONAL- pass the pureed soup through a fine sieve to remove the fibers if you prefer.
- Transfer the soup back to the stockpot and bring back to a simmer.
- Add the lemon juice and grated Parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
- Taste the soup and add additional salt, pepper, cheese or lemon juice if desired!
- Divide the soup into 4 bowls and top with the asparagus tips or grated Parmesan cheese if desired.