Smoked asparagus is an easy BBQ side dish to make while you’re grilling the main protein, such as Smoked Whole Chicken, as it take just 5 minutes to prep and is very hands off. You’re left with naturally sweet and tender asparagus with a hit of rich smoke.
Throwing asparagus on the smoker when you’re grilling Smoked Chicken Legs, Smoked Tri Tip, Smoked Rack of Lamb, smoked pork chops, Smoked Prime Rib, Smoked Meatloaf, or Smoked London Broil for a winning combination.
How to Smoke Asparagus
When it comes to smoking asparagus, the steps are simple: Snap, Season, Smoke, Grub Down!
How Long to Smoke Asparagus?
The maximum amount of time it takes is one hour. The exact time depends on two factors: how “crispy” you like your asparagus and what temperature do you have your smoker set to. If you’re cooking a steak at 225 degrees F it will take a little longer than if you’re cooking a steak at 250 degrees F. Here are two common temperature settings to use as a guide:
How Long to Smoke Asparagus at 225?
At 225 degrees F, it will take approx. 50-60 minutes to smoke asparagus.
How Long to Smoke Asparagus at 250?
At 250 degrees F, it will take approx. 35-45 minutes to smoke asparagus.
- Energy Source – Make sure to stock up on your selected energy source: charcoal, pellets, propane, gas, etc.
- Smoking Wood – Chunks, chips or pellets.
- Grill Basket – If you prefer not to use foil, a grill basket is the way to go.
- Smoker Box – You’ll need one to impart the smoke flavor if using a gas grill.
Spicy Asparagus – shake a few red pepper chili flakes on the asparagus after smoking for a bit of heat.
Garlic Asparagus – Toss is a half tablespoon of minced garlic before cooking.
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus – Wrap a strip of bacon around 3-4 asparagus spears and secure with a toothpick. Turn every 15 minutes to ensure even cooking.
Cheesy Asparagus – Right before you pull the asparagus from the grill, sprinkle some mozzarella or parmesan cheese over the top. By the time you’re ready to grub down, the cheese will be melted.
How To Trim Asparagus
Option 1 – Fresh asparagus will snap right where you want it to. Just hold the end of the asparagus between your thumb and pointer finger and about 1.5″ up the stalk do the same with your other hand. Gently bend the stalk and it should “snap” the hard fibrous part off.
Option 2 – Line them up on a cutting board and trim off the bottom 1-1.5″ where the hard white part meets the softer green part of the stalk.
More Smoked Recipes
- 1 lb Asparagus, Trimmed
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Lemon, Halved
- Pre-heat the smoker to 225 degrees F and load with your wood of choice.
- Toss the trimmed asparagus in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Transfer directly on the grill (Or, if preferred use a grilling basket or make a basket using heavy duty foil).
- Cook for approx. 50-60 minutes, turning halfway through. Check for doneness at the 50 minute mark. If you like softer asparagus, keep cooking until your desired tenderness is achieved.
- Remove from the smoker and squeeze fresh lemon juice over the stalks. Serve immediately.