Make birria ramen using our flavorful and decadent birria recipe. Shredded birria in a rich consommé envelopes birria noodles before being topped with iconic ramen toppings, like ramen eggs or pickled peppers, to create an unparalleled ramen recipe.
This ramen birria, along with our birria tacos recipe, has everything you’re looking for when it comes All. Things. Birria Recipes.
We love serving this birria ramen recipe for Cinco de Mayo along with a few other popular Mexican Recipes: Birria de Chivo, Chamoy, Carne Asada, Carne Asada Fries, Carne Asada Nachos, Pollo Asado, or Caldo de Queso.
What is Birria Ramen
Birria ramen noodles is what you get when you marry aromatic birria stew with umami rich birria consomé (a.k.a. beef broth). Think chunks of heavily flavored shredded beef with a silky and spice-forward broth, topped with your favorite ramen toppings. A classic Japanese noodle soup with a Mexican soup twist.
How to Make Birria Ramen
- Make the Birria – This birria ramen recipe begins after you make a batch of birria, either in the stove, oven or Instant Pot.
- Make the Ramen – Boil the ramen noodles according to package instructions and drain.
- Assemble the Bowl – Add the drained ramen noodles to a deep set bowl and top with a healthy dose of birria meat. Spoon the beef consomé over the noodles and meat before topping with your selected toppings. Enjoy immediately for best texture.
While the birria meat requires quite a bit of ingredients, the ramen recipe itself does not.
- Birria Stew – One batch of our birria.
- Ramen Noodles – Up to 8 packages of ramen noodles
- Toppings – check out the list of topping ideas below and select your favorites.
Shredded Cheese – Monterey Jack, Cotija Cheese, Queso Fresco or Oaxaca
Pickled Red Onions or Diced Onions
Sliced Green Onions
Pickled Banana Peppers or Pickled Peppers
Fresh Lime Juice
- Birria Tapatio Ramen – Kick things up a notch by using Tapatio Ramen Noodles. Just add the boiling hot broth to the cup of dried ramen, along with some birria meat, cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Tapatio noodles are much spicier if you add the flavor packet that comes with the noodles. Proceed with caution.
- What Is The Best Ramen Noodle To Use? Try and find fresh ramen noodles at your local supermarket. If you can’t find them, using the inexpensive ramen packages works beautifully as well. Just throw away the seasoning packet that comes with the noodles.
- Meal Prep – Make the birria meat up to 3 days in advance. It really cuts down on the time it takes to make Mexican ramen.
- Consommé – Make sure to stain the sauce before adding the ramen noodles. Here’s how silky it should be before pouring over the noodles. You can cook the noodles directly in the consomé, however you must boil the broth first.
Ramen Side Dish Ideas
Here are some ideas to serve as a side dish if you’re looking to bulk up your meal: air fryer tortilla chips with refried bean dip, sous vide corn on the cob, instant pot refried beans, or even a Mexican shrimp cocktail. You could even check out our other birria recipes to serve along side.
More Taco Recipes
Carne Asada Tacos
Pollo Asado Tacos
Flank Steak Tacos
Anything Mexican themed – Mango Michelada, Michelada rimmed with Chamoy, Mexican Mule, Corona Sunrise, Madras Drink, Beermosa, or Margarita.
## I’d love to hear from you! Use hashtag #foodieandwine when you’ve made this recipe and post to social media! Leave a comment below, after you’ve made it, to let me know your thoughts!
- 1 Batch Birria (*Note 1)
- 1-8 Ramen Packages, 1 Per Person (*Note 2)
- Optional: ramen egg, cheese, diced onions, pickled peppers, cilantro or lime juice (*Note 3)
- Proceed to the below recipe once you've made a batch of birria and strained the sauce to make a consomé.
Make The Ramen Noodles:
- Cook the ramen noodles according to the directions on the back of the package and drain.
Assemble the Bowl:
- Add the drained ramen noodles to a deep set bowl and top with a healthy dose of birria meat. Spoon the beef consomé over the noodles and meat before topping with your selected toppings. Enjoy immediately for best texture.