Make birria tacos (tacos de birria) with my delicious and flavorful beef birria recipe. Shredded birria with consommé is tucked into a soft corn tortilla and topped with your favorite taco toppings to create a memorable taco recipe.
This easy birria tacos recipe is a healthier and easier alternative to the typical birria taco recipe and Quesabirria recipe as it’s not fried in oil or lard. Instead, you get the classic flavors by dipping tacos into the birria consomme.
Table of Contents
What Are Birria Tacos
If you’re unfamiliar with Birria tacos with consommé, it’s a rich stew loaded with tender meat, dried chiles, bold Mexican spices and veggies. You can use it in a myriad of ways, but our favorite is soft birria tacos with consommé.
The traditional method includes dipping the tortilla in the stew sauce and frying in oil (or even the consommé itself as it has quite a bit of oil in it), however we simplified the method by making birria tacos with dipping sauce. All the flavor, with less fat and effort!
How To Make Birria Tacos
We won’t bore you by re-hashing the process it takes to make the birria meat. We detail it step by step in our birria post, so skip over there if you want to read up on how it’s made. This particular tacos birria recipe begins AFTER you make your favorite batch of shredded meat in the oven, stove or Instant Pot.
Once your meat is ready to go, just heat up some corn tortillas (or homemade flour tortillas), fill it with the beef and top with your favorite toppings. Serve it with a side of the taco sauce or even Chipotle Crema.
There aren’t many ingredients required to make these beef birria tacos, once the meat is made. It’s the meat itself that has quite a few ingredients. For these tacos, all you need is: one batch of birria with strained consommé, tortillas, and any topping you like.
Check out our complete list of 37 Tacos Toppings ideas!
Cheese – Monterey Jack, Cotija Cheese, Queso Fresco or Oaxaca
Pickled Red Onions or Diced Onions
Pickled Banana Peppers or Pickled Peppers
Homemade Salsa or Hot Sauce
Pico de Gallo
- Meal Prep – Make the meat up to 3 days in advance.
- Consommé – Make sure to stain the sauce if serving alongside the tacos as to make it “dip-able!” This is where the good stuff is! Pure liquid gold.
- Use any leftover meat or consommé to make Birria Ramen.
More Taco Recipes
- 1 Batch Birria ((*Note 1))
- 16 Corn Tortillas ((*Note 2))
- Optional: guacamole, cheese, diced onions, sour cream, cilantro, pico de gallo, lime juice or lettuc
- Proceed with the below recipe one you've made a batch of birria and strained the sauce to make a consomme.
Warm the Tortillas:
- Stovetop (Preferred Method): Heat a griddle over medium high heat. Place the tortillas directly on the pan for 45 seconds before flipping and cooking for another 30 seconds. If the tortilla isn't quite soft enough, keep on the griddle until to your liking. Remove and set aside until ready to serve.
- Microwave: Wrap 3-4 tortillas in a slightly damp paper towel and microwave in 30 second increments. Once softened to your preference, remove and set aside until ready to serve.
Build the Tacos:
- Pile the meat onto the soft tortilla and top with the taco toppings you prefer. Serve with a cup of consomme and enjoy immediately.