Stop Googling “Tacos al Carbon near me” and make your own at home! Tender Bavette Steak, flank steak or skirt steak is seasoned with salt and pepper and grilled to perfection. Serve inside a soft tortilla and top with onions and cilantro to create the best Tacos al Carbon recipe!
Tacos Tacos Tacos
al Carbon Meaning
“al Carbon” means “cooked over coal” in Spanish. So the term itself actually refers to just the meat, and how it’s cooked, vs the entire taco. Meat that’s cooked over a hot open flame until charred and juicy.
What Is An al Carbon Taco?
Depending on where you live in the United States, there are two popular variations. One resembles an authentic street taco while the other a Tex-Mex fajita.
Street Taco Version – Soft tortilla, grilled meat, diced onions and cilantro.
Fajita Taco Version – Soft tortilla, grilled meat, grilled onions and bell peppers.
Ideal Cuts of Meat
The ideal meat cuts to make grilled steak tacos is skirt steak or flank steak. Not to say other cuts won’t work, but these two are idea for Mexican taco recipes.
Soft Shell Taco
Depending on the region of the US you live in, you may find tacos al carbon served on flour tortillas or corn tortillas. Most regions serve it on flour tortillas, but in San Diego they’re served, unapologetically, on corn tortillas.
The best way to heat tortillas is on the grill, while the steak is resting. The microwave works in a pinch, but the pliability and texture suffer a bit.
While the authentic version limits the toppings to diced onions and cilantro, we know everybody loves some extra toppings! Here are some to add to the mix:
Sauce For Steak Tacos
If you’re one for sauce, here are some sauce and Homemade Salsa options:
Taco Al Carbon Tips
- Cut the grilled meat into 1/4″ squares for the best ratio per bite and texture.
- Don’t have an outdoor grill? Tacos al Carbon can be made inside on a grill pan.
- Plan on using about 2 oz of steak per taco.
- To cut down on prep time (even though it’s already minimal), cut the onions and cilantro while the skirt steak is resting.
- Recipes For Leftover Prime Rib – this is a great way to use your leftover holiday roast!
Side Dish Ideas
Tacos are amazing on their own, however if you’re looking to make it a well rounded meal, here are some ideas:
Tacos al Carbon
- 1 Lb Skirt Steak (*Note 1)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt, To Taste
- Black Pepper, To Taste
- 8 Soft Tortillas
- 3/4 cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1 cup Diced White Onion
- Pre-heat the grill to high heat.
- Rub the skirt steak with olive oil and season with kosher salt and pepper, to taste. Grill for 3-5 minutes per side for medium-rare to medium. Use a digital thermometer to get it to your exact preferred internal temperature. Remove from the heat and set aside. (*Note 1)
- Corn Tortillas - Spray/brush each tortilla lightly with olive oil and place on the grill. Heat for approx. 20 seconds, flip and heat for another 15 seconds, or until warm and pliable. Remove from the heat and repeat until all the tortillas are heated. (*Note 2)Flour Tortillas - Spray/brush each tortilla lightly with olive oil and place on the grill. Heat for approx. 20 seconds, flip and heat for another 15 seconds, or until warm and pliable. Remove from the heat and repeat until all the tortillas are heated. (*Note 2)
- Dice the steak into 1/4" cubes and start building the tacos: Add the diced steak to a tortilla, sprinkle with diced onions and cilantro and serve!