This 5-ingredient mango pico de gallo recipe is loaded with juicy mangos, red onions, jalapeño peppers, cilantro and lime juice to make a perfect tropical salsa. Make it along side a batch of air fryer tortilla chips, traditional pico de gallo and kick back with a Michelada rimmed with Chamoy or Mango Michelada for the perfect Cinco de Mayo festival!
Favorite recipes to serve this Mango salsa with: Pollo Asado Tacos using Grilled Pollo Asado, Carne Asada, Carne Asada Tacos, Carne Asada Nachos, Carne Asada Fries, Refried Bean Dip, Flank Steak Tacos, Steak Fajitas or Chicken Fajitas.
Mango Pico de Gallo Ingredients
This mango salsa recipe is a fresh and chunky, un-blended and un-cooked homemade salsa made up of juicy mangos, onions, jalapenos (optional), cilantro and lime juice. It has many of the same ingredients as our Mango Habanero Sauce recipe. Shake a bit of salt on it, depending on what you’re serving it with.
How To Make Mango Salsa
Only 2 big steps are required: Dice the mangos, onions, jalapeños and cilantro, add to a large bowl, and stir in the lime juice. Let chill for about an hour before grubbing down!
- Use ripe mangos for the best texture and flavor.
- Invest in a mango cutter to make cutting mangos a breeze. It’s perfect to use when making mango recipes.
- To tell if a mango is ripe, gently squeeze it in the palm of your hand. It should feel slightly soft vs hard as a rock or super mushy. If the mango is rock hard, allow it to ripen for an extra day or two before using.
- If you’re serving within an hour or so, let the diced onions, jalapeños and salt marinate while you chop the mangos and cilantro. This will mellow both raw items a bit more. It’s similar to what is done when making quick pickled red onions.
- Use gloves when handing hot peppers and avoid the face.
- Try and let marinate for a minimum of an hour. The flavors meld a bit more.
- Serve slightly chilled or close to room temperature. The flavor really comes out when not ice cold.
- The Mango pico de gallo shouldn’t be watery. Use a slotted spoon or fork when dishing over your recipes.
Uses for Mango Pico de Gallo
- Chip Dip – think air fryer tortilla chips, smoked salsa, pico de gallo and 4 ingredient guacamole!
- Seafood Topping – mango salsa is great on top of salmon and mahi mahi.
- Tons of Mexican recipes, like tacos, burritos, fajitas, quesadillas, tostadas, nachos, tortas, taquitos and flautas
- Birria recipes: Birria Tacos using Birria
- Grilled vegetables
- Grilled chicken or beef
- Mango Tomato Salsa – Add in one or two seeded and diced tomatoes (either Roma or Plum).
- Pineapple Pico de Gallo – Replace the mango with diced fresh pineapple.
- Pico de Gallo with Avocado – dice up a ripe avocado and throw in that bad boy for extra body and creaminess.
- Mild – Omit the jalapenos or replace with pickled peppers or pickled banana peppers.
- Spicy – Replace the jalapeños with serrano peppers.
- Onions – replace the red onions with white onions or even green onions.
- Cucumber and Mango Pico de Gallo – Thrown in diced cucumbers for an extra cool salsa. Pickled cucumbers would also work.
Can You Freeze Leftover Mango Pico de Gallo
Yep- but we don’t recommend doing so. The mangos will release water when thawed and the overall texture will change. If you do decide to freeze leftovers, make sure to defrost the salsa and drain in a strainer before serving.
How Long Does Mango Salsa Last
Quality wise, it’s best to enjoy within 24 hours. Safety-wise this will last in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. The mangos and onions will soften the longer they sit, so the texture will adjust slightly with age.
I’d love to hear from you! Please leave a recipe rating, snap a pic and use the hashtag #foodieandwine, after you’ve made the recipe, and post to social media!
Mango Pico de Gallo
- 3 Ripe Mangos, Diced
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion, Diced
- 1-2 Jalapeno Peppers, Seeded and Minced
- 1/4 Cup Packed Fresh Cilantro Leaves, Chopped
- 1 Fresh Lime, Juiced
- Salt, To Taste (*Note 1)
- Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Taste and season with salt, if desired.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 2 days.