Pollo Asado Tacos, along with our popular Carne Asada Tacos and Birria Tacos, make the perfect Cinco de Mayo recipes! Grilled pollo asado is stuffed into a corn tortilla and topped with your favorite chicken taco toppings to deliver a delicious and authentic Mexican taco recipe.
The base of this pollo tacos recipe is chicken thighs, either grilled or roasted, marinated in a mix of spices and citrus juice, including achiote. While achiote chicken is a rock star on its own, who can pass up making a Mexican street taco out of it?
Pollo Asado Taco Toppings
There are a ton of taco toppings that would be killer on these pollo asado tacos.
Cheese – Monterey Jack, Cotija Cheese, Queso Fresco or Oaxaca
Homemade Salsa or Hot Sauce
Pico de Gallo
Mango Pico de Gallo
Pickled Red Onions or Diced Red or White Onions
Pickled Banana Peppers or Pickled Peppers
Pickled Peaches – this would be a KILLER unexpected topping
Pollo Asado al Carbon Tacos
When grilling the chicken use a charcoal grill instead of a gas grill.
Chicken Street Tacos
Make it a Street Tacos by doubling up on the corn tortillas and top with only onions and cilantro.
Low Carb Tacos
Replace the tortillas with lettuce or jicama wraps. While you’re at Trader Joe’s pick up these jicama wraps. They’re our favorite! Just pass on the Trader Joe’s Pollo Asado though and make it at home.
What To Serve With Pollo Asado
Pollo Asado tacos are filling on their own, but if you want some side dish ideas, we have you covered:
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips with Refried Bean Dip
- Mexican Style Sous Vide Corn on the Cob
- Mexican Rice or Cilantro Lime Rice
## I’d love to hear from you! Use hashtag #foodieandwine when you’ve made this recipe and post to social media! Leave a comment below, after you’ve made it, to let me know your thoughts!
- 1 Batch Pollo Asado
- 16 Corn Tortillas
- Topping Ideas: Salsa, Guacamole, Sour Cream, Cheese, Peppers, Chopped Cilantro
Make The Chicken:
- Make one batch of pollo asado chicken. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting into bite size pieces.
Make The Tacos:
- While the chicken is resting, heat up a skillet (or use the hot grill), to warm the tortillas for approx. 30-60 seconds per side.
- Pile the diced chicken on a hot tortilla and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy immediately!