Quick and easy refried bean dip loaded with creamy beans, flavorful toppings and tons of taco flavor! This healthy Mexican bean dip can be made with Instant Pot Refried Beans, Slow Cooker Refried Beans or canned refried beans!
Make a batch of air fryer tortilla chips and smoked queso (or Rotel Dip), grab a cold Michelada or Mango Michelada and dig in!
As mentioned above, there are 3 routes you can take in the refried beans department:
Instant Pot Refried Beans – Make healthy and homemade refried beans from scratch in just 90 minutes. Most Authentic Mexican Refried Bean Dip route.
Instant Pot Black Beans – This recipe lists out how to turn black beans into refried black beans, perfectly creamy for dip!
Slow Cooker Refried Beans – Low and slow but very hands off!
Canned Refried Beans Hack– Grab two cans of your favorite brand of refried beans (note – not Tostitos Bean Dip or Tostitos Bean and Cheese Dip). This route is quick and easy.
If you prefer making beans in the Instant Pot, check out our other Instant Pot Beans Recipe: Instant Pot Pinto Beans, Instant Pot Kidney Beans, Black Eyed Peas and Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice.
Dip Topping Ideas
Toppings are the best part of hot bean dip, next to the crunchy tortilla chips! Here are a few of our favorites!
- Pickled Peppers
- Pickled Banana Peppers
- Pickled Red Onions
- 4 Ingredient Guacamole
- Shredded Cheese – Queso Fresco, Oaxaca, Pepper Jack
- Sour Cream
- Black Olives
- Salsa – Restaurant Style Salsa, smoked salsa or pico de gallo
- Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- Chopped Green Onions
Many of these toppings are what we use on our Chili Cheese Dip.
Mexican Bean Dip Recipe Variations
Refried Bean Dip With Cream Cheese
This bean dip recipe is for refried bean dip without cream cheese, however you can easily mix some in if that’s your jam. To make Cream Cheese Bean Dip, add 4 oz. of softened cream cheese to the beans before heating. The cream cheese will melt as the beans heat up.
Layered Refried Bean Dip
If serving to a large crowd it may make sense to make a more “layered bean dip” as to make it easier to serve. Just grab a large casserole dish and start with the refried beans. On top of the beans add the sour cream and salsa followed by any other toppings you select.
Taco Dip with Refried Beans
Our recipe includes spices typically used in authentic Mexican recipes: cumin and chili powder. To amp up the taco flavor add a tablespoon or two of Chicken Taco Seasoning.
Bean dip can be enjoyed solo with tortilla chips OR as the perfect side dish to most Mexican recipes including, Frijoles Charra, Carne Asada, Carne Asada Taco, Carne Asada Fries, Carne Asada Nachos, Steak Fajitas, Chicken Fajitas, Mexican Chili Verde, Slow Cooker Carnitas, Sous Vide Corn on the Cob, Mexican Shrimp Cocktail or even Chicken Enchiladas.
Or stuff inside Arepa Con Queso!
How Long Can Homemade Bean Dip Stay In The Fridge? If you have leftover bean dip, transfer it to an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Is Bean Dip Served Hot or Cold? Just like there’s no wrong way to eat a Reese’s, there’s no wrong way to eat this refried bean dip.
Are Refried Beans Keto? Sadly, no. They contain almost 14 net carbs per 100g serving.
Drinks That Go With Bean Dip
When enjoying Mexican Recipes, we always reach for a Mexican Mule, Michelada or Margarita.
- 1 Batch Instant Pot Refried Beans or 1/2 Batch Slow Cooker Refried Beans or (2) 15 oz. Cans of Canned Refried Beans (*Note 1)
- 1 tbsp Fresh Lime Juice (*Note 2)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Grated
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin (*Note 2)
- ⅛ tsp Salt + More To Taste
- 1 Avocado, Diced
- 1 Roma Tomato, Diced
- ¼ Cup Red Onion or Pickled Red Onions, Finely Diced
- ¼ Cup Queso Fresco, Oaxaca or Cotija Cheese
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips or Store Bought Tortilla Chips
- Chopped Fresh Cilantro, Garnish
- Pickled Peppers, To Taste
- Make the Instant Pot Refried Beans, Slow Cooker Refried Beans or canned beans. If using canned beans, heat them up in a sauce pan on the stove, over medium heat, until hot.
- Transfer to a shallow dish and top with avocado, tomato, onions, cheese, cilantro and any other toppings you select. Serve with tortilla chips.