Here’s how to make pinto beans in the Instant Pot!! This Instant Pot Pinto Beans recipe doesn’t require a soak so you can make creamy beans in the Instant Pot in no time! Add them to your favorite chili recipe, like Smoked Chili or Smoked Baked Beans.
If you enjoy making beans in a pressure cooker, check out all our Instant Pot Beans Recipe: Instant Pot Black Beans, Instant Pot Kidney Beans, Instant Pot Refried Beans, Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas or Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice recipe!
This Instant Pot Beans recipe makes making refried beans MUCH easier, although we do love our slow cooker refried beans recipe. We also prefer using homemade beans when making soup recipes as to control the sodium content.
Table of Contents
Instant Pot Pinto Beans No Soak
While most bean recipes require a long soak, the Instant Pot makes it a thing of the past. Think creamy, soft pinto beans in under an hour. It’s how we make our no-soak Refried Bean Dip.
How To Cook Pinto Beans In the Instant Pot
Carve out about 70 minutes to cook pinto beans in the Instant Pot. While that may seem lengthy, it’s actually pretty fast for beans from scratch. Usually beans need to soak overnight to have the best texture. Make pressure cooker pinto beans in just 3 steps:
- Place 1 pound of pinto beans and 6 cups of Instant Pot Bone Broth (or water).
- Cook in the Instant Pot for 50 minutes.
- Go with the natural release so that the pinto beans can have the best texture possible!
How Long Do You Cook Pinto Beans In a Pressure Cooker?
The pinto beans take 45 minutes to cook in an instant pot. Add 10 minutes it takes to come to pressure and then 15 minutes to naturally release. You’re looking at a total of 70 minutes.
Instant Pot Pinto Beans Recipe
This dump and go Instant Pot Beans recipe is a perfect base recipe. You can add any spices you like. We love adding chopped onions, fresh thyme, bay leaves, Chicken Taco Seasoning, creole seasoning and more. Even a dash of BBQ Dry Rub or Jamaican Jerk Seasoning would be great or a few scoops of pico de gallo.
- Pre-make beans to help make meal prep easier. Pinto beans are highly versatile so you can add them to many recipes. Cook them in the Instant Pot for shorter prep and cooking time. We use them in many soup recipes, like our Pasta e Fagioli recipe, Frijoles Charra and Olive Garden Minestrone Soup recipe. This way we can control the sodium content.
- Save money cooking beans in a bag. Cooking beans from scratch helps your wallet!
- To make refried beans: Drain the beans but reserve the liquid. Blend with an immersion blender or hand mash. Add reserved liquid 1/4 cup at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
View More Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Mushrooms
Sous Vide Egg Bites
Starbucks Egg Bites
Instant Pot Roast Beef
Instant Pot Jambalaya
Zuppa Toscana Soup
Instant Pot Meatballs
Instant Pot Chicken Adobo
Olive Garden Minestrone Soup
Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Basic Instant Pot Pinto Beans:
- 16 oz Dried Pinto Beans
- 6 Cups Water
- Onion, Bay Leaf, Cumin, Salt, Garlic Powder, Garlic Salt or Tapatio
- Rinse beans and pick out any pebbles.
- Add the beans and water to the Instant Pot and stir. (Here is where you'll also add any flavor elements you decide to go with) Secure the lid, making sure the valve is in the sealed position.
- Set pressure cooker to "pressure cook" or "manual" (depending on model), high pressure, for 50 minutes. Once the timer beeps let naturally release for 15 minutes.
- Quick release any remaining pressure. Remove the lid.
- Either drain the beans or remove with a slotted spoon.