Air Fried Tortilla Chips
Extra crispy Air Fryer Tortilla Chips made with only 3 ingredients and 10 minutes! Making tortilla chips in the air fryer is much more economical and healthier than store bought tortilla chips.
We use them when making Carne Asada Nachos, Smoked Queso, Rotel Dip or are craving chips and 4 ingredient guacamole.
Serve these homemade tortilla chips with pico de gallo, mango pico de gallo, Refried Bean Dip, Instant Pot refried beans, restaurant style salsa, Smoked Salsa or your favorite dip for Cinco de Mayo or Game Day!
How to Make Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
10-minutes is all you need to make air fryer chips. You’ll have hot tortilla chips is no time!
- Prep the Tortillas – Cut the tortillas, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake the Tortillas – Put them in the air fryer basket and bake away for 5 minutes.
- Grub Down on Chips – Let the chips rest for 15 minutes, to crisp up, then grub away!
Air Fryer Corn Tortilla Chips
Yellow corn tortillas are where it’s at. They get a bit more crispy than white corn tortillas. Think about it. The package of yellow corn tortillas at the grocery store are always a bit firmer than the white corn tortillas. With that said, we just use whichever corn tortillas we have leftover from making taco recipes or fajita recipes.
Air Fryer Flour Tortilla Chips
Can you air fryer flour tortillas? You can, however they come out more chewy than crispy. Have at it if you have a hankering for chips and only have flour tortillas on hand. Making flour tortillas in the air fryer requires no changes to the below recipe. Just keep your eyes on the homemade tortilla chips as flour tortillas tend to burn quicker than corn tortillas.
In the mood to mix it up? Here are some other seasoning that would work well on air fried tortilla chips. Keep in mind some seasonings may take a shorter amount of time (or longer) to cook so keep your eyes on those babies while they cook!
- Taco Seasoning
- Creole seasoning
- Lime Juice
- Cinnamon and Sugar
- Ranch Seasoning
- Powdered Cheese (the kind you use on popcorn!)
Can I Use Cooking Spray?
Pre air fryer (think 10+ years ago), we baked tortilla chips using cooking spray. We’ve come a long way since then and while you CAN use cooking spray, air fryer tortilla chips brushed with olive oil produced a far superior product. Every square inch is crispy where as you hit soft spots on the chip wherever cooking spray didn’t land. You usually end up with too much or too little cooking spray.
What To Serve With Homemade Tortilla Chips
Homemade tortilla chips and homemade salsa make excellent companions to many of my favorite foods, particularly Mexican recipes, obviously! Here are a few of our favorites:
Pollo Asado Tacos using Grilled Pollo Asado, Carne Asada, Carne Asada Tacos, Carne Asada Fries, Carne Asada Fries, Steak Fajitas, Chicken Fajitas, Mexican Chili Verde, Slow Cooker Carnitas, Sous Vide Corn on the Cob, Mexican Shrimp Cocktail or even Chicken Enchiladas.
How Long Do They Last
If stored in an airtight container, homemade air fryer tortillas can last up to a week. Keep in mind they do soften as they age. So the sooner you enjoy the better.
- Cooking times vary depending on the brand and size of your air fryer.
- These make AMAZING crispy tortilla shells. Just skip the cutting part and put the corn tortillas in whole.
- If you’re looking for a low carb tortilla chips, use low carb flour tortillas such as Mission Tortilla Carb Balance or Mr. Tortilla’s 1 Carb corn tortillas. Crispy tortilla chips can be yours even on a low carb diet.
- Slice them into strips before cooking and use as a soup topping! They would be great on Caldo de Queso.
Baked Tortilla Chips
Don’t have an air fryer? No problem. Follow the same recipe and bake for 4 minutes, flip and bake for another 3-4 minutes. Keep your eyes on them to avoid burning.
Drinks That Go With Tortilla Chips
When enjoying Mexican Recipes, we always reach for a Mexican Mule, Michelada, Mango Michelada or Margarita.
## I’d love to hear from you! Use hashtag #foodieandwine when you’ve made this recipe and post to social media! Leave a comment below, after you’ve made it, to let me know your thoughts!
- 5 Corn Tortillas, Cut Into 4 Wedges (*Note 1)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil (*Note 2)
- Optional: Sea Salt
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 350° F.
- Stack the tortillas and cut them in half using a pizza roller or knife. Cut them in half again so you have 4 equal wedges per tortilla.
- Brush both sides of the tortilla with olive oil or liberally cover each side with cooking spray. Don't be gentle - you need a nice coat to crisp the chips. Sprinkle with salt.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Add the sliced tortillas to the air fryer basket in a single layer. Depending on the size of your machine it will probably need to be done in multiple batches.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Keep an eye on the chips as they will burn quickly.
- Remove from the basket and let rest at least 15 minutes, as the chips crisp up as they cool.