Crack Green Beans is the nickname for an addictive green bean casserole with bacon. Green beans are coated in a savory and sweet glaze and topped with crispy bacon. They’re flavorful, easy to make and deserve room at your Thanksgiving table along with this Jiffy Corn Casserole.
This crack green beans recipe makes a wonderful side dish to any of our turkey recipes or prime rib recipes, including: Smoked Turkey, Smoked Turkey Breast, Sous Vide Turkey Breast or our 5-star rated Prime Rib Recipe.
Green bean casserole with bacon can be made with fresh, canned or frozen green beans. It’s extremely easy to make and flexible depending on your green bean preference. Fresh beans are our go-to because we can control the sodium, crispness and keep the bright green color.
Types of Green Beans
Green Beans Casserole With Fresh Green Beans
This is the perfect recipe for fresh green beans and is our preferred method. You can steam, blanch or sauté them to your preferred crispness.
- How to Blanch – Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil. Add the green beans and boil for 3-5 minutes, until crisp yet tender. Drain well and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. The green beans in the pictures are blanched.
- How to Steam – Fill a large stockpot with 2″ of water and bring to a simmer. Place the green beans in a steamer basket and place inside the large stockpot. Place the lid on the pot, turn the heat down to medium and let steam for 5-7 minutes, until crisp yet tender.
- How to Sauté – Pre-heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the green beans and cook for 6-8 minutes until crisp yet tender.
Green Beans Casserole With Frozen Green Beans
To make this frozen green beans recipe, no edits to the below recipe are needed. You’ll just need to cook the dish a bit longer to ensure the beans get to temp.
Green Beans Casserole With Canned Green Beans
This is a great canned green beans recipe. To prepare just add the drained beans when indicated in the recipe. It’s the fastest version to make as you don’t have to cook the beans.
How To Make Bacon Green Beans
Crack green bean recipes are super easy to make. The lengthiest step in the process is cooking the bacon.
- Cook the green beans, if using fresh green beans.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp (about 10 minutes) or use your preferred method for making bacon.
- Add the glaze ingredients to the skillet and cook to thicken.
- Add the beans and half the bacon and let the beans cook.
- Top off with the rest of the bacon and serve.
- For a spicy kick, add in a teaspoon of red pepper flakes when simmering the glaze.
- Use turkey bacon or microwavable bacon if that’s what you prefer. Both would be great substitutions.
- Use coconut aminos in place of the soy sauce for a low carb or low sodium version.
- Snag a huge package of green beans at Costco for high quality beans at a low price.
- Add a tablespoon or two of water if you see the sauce evaporating more than preferred.
- Store the leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To re-heat, just add the leftovers to a skillet pre-heated over medium heat. Add a tablespoon or two of water, if needed. Cook until heated throughout.
Green Bean Casserole with Bacon
Crack Green Beans (Green Bean Casserole With Bacon)
- 2.5 lb Fresh Green Beans, Trimmed (*Note 1)
- 10-12 Slices of Bacon + Reserved Bacon Grease (*Note 2)
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar, Packed
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter (*Note 3)
- 1/4 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- Black Pepper, To Taste
COOK THE FRESH GREEN BEANS (SKIP FOR CANNED OR FROZEN)
- Steam - Fill a large stockpot with 2" of water and bring to a simmer. Place the green beans in a steamer basket and place inside the large stockpot. Place the lid on the pot, turn the heat down to medium and let steam for 5-7 minutes, until crisp yet tender. Blanch - Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil. Add the green beans and boil for 3-5 minutes, until crisp yet tender. Drain well and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.Sauté - Pre-heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the green beans and cook for 6-8 minutes until crisp yet tender.
COOK THE BACON
- Pre-heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the strips of bacon and cook until crisp (approx. 10 minutes), cooking in batches if needed. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside. Keep 2-3 tablespoons of bacon grease in the skillet, and discard the rest.
COOK THE CASSEROLE
- Add the brown sugar, butter, soy sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder to the skillet and stir to combine. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved and the glaze thickens.
- While the sauce is thickening, crumble the cooked bacon.
- Add half the crumbled bacon and green beans to the skillet and toss to coat. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the green beans are heated through out.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, if desired. Add the rest of the crumbled bacon to the top and serve immediately for best texture.