This all-purpose rub for smoked chicken is infused with a flavorful and classic blend of herbs and spices you probably already have in your pantry.
Smoke Rub For Chicken
Chicken Rub For Smoking
Nothing beats grubbing down on moist chicken rubbed down with an array of seasonings and slathered in homemade barbecue sauce. It’s great on its own if you’re not into sauce.
Whip up a huge batch of our easy BBQ rub and keep it on hand, in an airtight jar, to use as needed.
To make this chicken seasoning rub, you’ll need the following spices: onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, dried thyme, and brown sugar.
Optional ingredients: cayenne pepper (it’s not spicy, but feel free to omit), and salt for those who need a salt-free rub.
If you prefer to also use a binder, we highly recommend using our Dijon mustard recipe.
How To Make Smoked Chicken Rub
Making this smoked chicken rub recipe couldn’t be easier. Just measure, mix, taste, and adjust to suite your preference. Remember to check the list of “Best Wood For Smoking Chicken” to ensure it pairs well with this rub.
Prefer a marinade over a dry smoked chicken seasoning? Just 1/4 cup of olive oil to one batch of this smoke rub for chicken. That’s it!
- Spicy – amp up the heat by doubling, or even tripling the cayenne!
- Extra Smokey- Use smoked paprika, in place of regular paprika, for an extra smokey flavor.
- Like Garlic? This dry rub recipe can certainly handle a double hit of garlic powder. Go for it!
- Prefer Less Sugar? We get it. Half it and take a test. The other flavors should shine with the reduction in sugar.
- Prefer Less Salt? Add 1 tsp, taste, and increase until your perfect level is reached.
In addition to using this dry rub for Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs, you can use it on any of the following:
Here are some tips when making this dry rub recipe for chicken:
- Adjust the amount of salt and pepper to your taste preferences.
- Plan on using about 1/4 cup of dry rub per 2 lbs. of chicken.
- Marinate your meat for at 15 minutes, after applying the smoked chicken dry rub, to ensure maximum flavor absorption.
- Store the spice mix in an airtight container, for up to 6 months
Chicken Dry Rub Recipe
The Best Smoke Rub For Chicken
- ½-1 tbsp Salt ((*Note 1))
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Dried Thyme
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper ((*Note 2))
- Add all the ingredients to a medium size bowl and stir to combine. Use immediately or store in an airtight container.