This tangy Blue Cheese Sauce recipe is rich, creamy and ready in only 5 minutes. Just like Horseradish Sauce, Blue Cheese Sauce is a versatile condiment that can transform any dish from ordinary to extraordinary.
Here are the main simple ingredients to make this quick and easy sauce. The entire list of ingredients, for this blue cheese cream sauce, is in the recipe card below:
- Blue Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Lemon Juice
- Worcestershire Sauce
When creating the creamy blue cheese sauce, the quality of ingredients matters. Every component contributes to the final product’s flavor, texture, and appeal; shop at the grocery stores accordingly.
Different Varieties of Blue Cheese
The foundation of this homemade blue cheese sauce is the brand and type of cheese itself. The other ingredients can’t pick up the slack for junk cheese or varietals you simply don’t like.
The flavor of the cheese you select is what develops the deep umami flavor. So grab one you like!
If you prefer a mild flavor blue cheese, or aren’t used to the strong sharp flavor, opt for a mild variety such as Gorgonzola or Danish Blue.
How to Make
To make this delicious sauce recipe, just add all the ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine. Taste and add more of any ingredient as needed! Cover and transfer to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
For a smoother sauce, just throw it in a food processor or blender.
The beauty of this sauce lies in its versatility. This blue cheese sauce recipe can be used in a myriad of different ways. Here are a few popular, as well as unique, applications:
Hamburger Topping – Top your homemade burgers with blue cheese sauce instead of regular cheese, adding a new depth of flavor that complements the savory meat.
Pasta Sauce – Drizzle over pasta dishes such as spaghetti or fettuccine, for a rich and tangy flavor.
Vegetable Dip – It can be used as a delightful dip for raw or grilled vegetables.
Pizza Base – Use as an alternative to traditional tomato sauce on pizza, imparting a unique, cheesy richness to your homemade pies.
Blue Cheese Sauce For Steaks – Pour it over a cooked steak, like a london broil or sirloin steaks to enhance the meat’s flavors with the creamy and tangy notes of the cheese.
Baked Potato Topping – Upgrade your smoked baked potatoes by spooning over a generous amount of sauce, creating a creamy, cheesy, and tangy topping.
Fish Topper – Drizzle over a perfectly grilled or baked fish for a wonderfully indulgent seafood experience.
Sandwich Spread – Spread it on your favorite sandwich or wrap for an extra kick of flavor, making it a gourmet delight.
Nachos Topping – Pour over nachos instead of traditional cheddar for a sophisticated take on this classic snack.
Salad Dressing – Blue cheese sauce can be used as a creamy, indulgent dressing for salads, complementing the crisp, fresh veggies with its robust flavor. It would be perfect on this Pear Gorgonzola salad.
Risotto Stir-in – Stir it into risotto for a creamy, cheesy twist on the classic dish, which will add a nice tangy flavor to the mild risotto.
Gnocchi Sauce – Drizzle it over your cooked gnocchi for a delightfully tangy and cheesy twist to the classic Italian dish.
Stuffed Mushroom Filling – Mix it with panko or breadcrumbs and use it as a filling for stuffed mushrooms, baking them to perfection.
Broccoli or Cauliflower – Pour over broccoli or cauliflower before roasting in the oven for a killer side dish.
Sauce vs Dressing
The main difference between blue cheese sauce and homemade blue cheese dressing is the thickness and consistency. Dressing is thicker and has a concentrated flavor while sauce is thinner with a milder flavor, due to the other ingredients and thickness. Both can be used interchangeably, for the most part.
Both deliver a killer blue cheese flavor, just in different vehicles.
Blue Cheese Sauce For Steak
Crafting the perfect blue cheese sauce recipe for steaks takes on a life of its own, so we created a separate recipe for blue cheese steak sauce. It uses this sauce as a base and takes it one step further by adding nuances of beef flavor and umami.
- Always use fresh lemon juice – bottled juice won’t have the same “fresh” flavor.
- Add in extra blue cheese crumbles at the end to make a “chunkier” sauce.
- If you prefer a smooth and creamy sauce, bust out your blender or food processor.
- Try and make it 24 hours ahead, for the best texture and flavor.
- Store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, for up to 7 days.
- This delicious sauce will be thicker after being refrigerator – so keep that in mind if you’re looking for a thinner sauce. Just take it out of the refrigerator about 10 minutes before you need it or thin it out with extra buttermilk.
Blue Cheese Sauce
- 8 oz blue cheese ((*Note 1))
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 small lemon, Juiced
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper, or to taste
- ¼ tsp sugar, or to taste
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch mustard powder
- Add the blue cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise to a food processor or blender and mix for about 60 seconds.
- Add the lemon juice, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, sugar, garlic powder and mustard powder and blend for 30 seconds, until well combined. Taste and adjust ingredients as desired.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to one week.
- Add all of the ingredients to a small mixing bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust ingredients as desired.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to one week.