The best marinated mushrooms recipe takes just 15 minutes of prep work! Savory mushrooms are bathed in flavorful olive oil and herbs until tender. Learn how to make marinated mushrooms and be ready to add them to steak, pasta, burgers, pizza and more.
If you love Mushroom recipes, make sure to check out our Mushroom Ravioli recipe!!
Table of Contents
How to Marinate Mushrooms
Expect to spend roughly 10 minutes preparing the ingredients. While they’re ready to enjoy after 10 minutes, it’s best to wait to allow the marinade to set in.
Cleaning – Mushrooms are dirty little devils so don’t skip learning how to properly clean them. Make sure to read up How to Clean Mushrooms before proceeding, if need be. It’s how we clean our mushrooms to make Mushroom Sauce.
Cooking –Boil mushrooms for only 3-4 minutes, until slightly tender.
Mixing – Toss the mushrooms with the marinade before refrigerating for ideally 6+ hours for maximum flavor.
What Type of Mushrooms Should I Use
You can prepare this mushrooms recipe with a variety of different mushroom including, cremini mushrooms, white button mushrooms, small brown mushrooms, portobello mushrooms (cut to smaller size), oyster mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms. I always snag a huge package of Costco mushrooms as I love the large size.
What Can I Do With A Jar of Marinated Mushrooms
So. Many. Things. Serve warm marinated mushrooms with crusty bread, slices of cheese, marinated olives or or even use marinated mushrooms for antipasto. These would be fantastic thrown in pasta, used as a steak topping or even enjoyed solo with a glass of wine.
How Long Do Mushrooms Last In The Fridge
Marinated mushrooms in a jar last up to two months when properly stored in the fridge in an air tight container.
Can I Use Canned Mushrooms? Nope. Canned mushrooms are already water logged so they won’t have the capacity to “soak up” any of the marinade.
Can You Slice Mushrooms Ahead of Time – If you prefer to cut the mushrooms in advance, do so before boiling. This way all the excess water will cook out of them before marinating.
Marinated Grilled Mushrooms – These would make awesome grilled mushrooms. Throw them on your grill with your beef, chicken or pork!
Love Garlic? Double the amount. Like Heat? Add in some jalapeno peppers or more red pepper flakes.
Click to View More Mushroom Recipes
What Wine Goes With Mushrooms
Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, pinot Grigio, Pinot Noir or Beaujolais
- 1 Lb White or Cremini Mushrooms
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup White Wine Vinegar
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 tsp Packed Brown Sugar (*Note 1)
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- ½ tsp Dried Italian Seasoning
- ½ tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
- ¼ tsp Crushed Red pepper Flakes, Optional (*Note 2)
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Optional: Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the mushrooms and cook just until tender, approx. 3-4 minutes. Drain well.
- Add the cooked mushrooms, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, Italian seasoning, black peppercorns, red pepper flakes to a large bowl. Season with salt, to taste and gently mix to combine.
- Transfer to an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for 8 hours to develop the full flavors.
- To serve, bring mushrooms to room temperature and garnish with parsley, if desired.